No announcement yet.

In light of the other Marshall topic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In light of the other Marshall topic...

I was wondering what opinions do you guys have on the DSL series?

Thanks
    Bee
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: In light of the other Marshall topic...

Ok stock, but I know a guy who turns them into something from the underworld
    They are ok but nothing special on their own, I am thinking about getting one of those as well and get the mod done to it....sometimes I want that modern crunch.

Comment

Ah ok, thanks Rid, do you have any detailed information on the mod?

Or would you be able to suggest a better amp for around the same price (the 20w-40w DSL models)...?
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I think that the 100 watts top is the best sounding of them, and the 50 is very good too, but it all depends on what usage they are for.
        The 100 can actually play at low volumes and still sound good.
        The mod I have not seen, he is the same guy who is making our upcoming highgain tube thing(hopefully)
        He can turn anything that has good powertrafo's into something great.
        By the way try this link, it is about the DSL100.

Comment

Ooh that sounds really good... but I know little about amplifiers in general - can you play heads by themselves or do you need a cabinet?

At the moment I've got a Peavey Rage 158, a solid state, it's terrible, and I've got the option to purchase something better lol...

Comment

Ah the catch with heads is getting a cab for it, preferly 2x12 or a 4x12 if you like the extra omph.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
              Ah ok, thanks Rid, do you have any detailed information on the mod?

Or would you be able to suggest a better amp for around the same price (the 20w-40w DSL models)...?

DSL 201 is being discontinued... DSL 401 is a gorgeous amp though. i gigged with it on saturday, because of the power tubes being pushed, it sounded like it was outgunning the DSL100

only problem is, DSL401s get *hot*. *reaaaal* hot. theres no fan, so theres been reliablilty problems where the heat from the tubes has knackered the solder joints on the bridge rectifier, frying said amp.

they do sound jolly nice though

Comment

you need a cab with a head, and my favortie is the dsl 50, i can crank it loud enough to push the amp and make it sound good, i have to turn a dsl100 up higher, much higher than the family would like...

Comment

Ooh that sounds really good... but I know little about amplifiers in general - can you play heads by themselves or do you need a cabinet?

At the moment I've got a Peavey Rage 158, a solid state, it's terrible, and I've got the option to purchase something better lol...
                  THAT WAS MY FIRST AMP! and i broke the guitar input off so i had to use the cd input, haha, at that point, anything was better than that. if you got a dsl of any kind, the upgrade in tone would likely give you a siezure

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                    I think that the 100 watts top is the best sounding of them, and the 50 is very good too, but it all depends on what usage they are for.
                    The 100 can actually play at low volumes and still sound good.
                    The mod I have not seen, he is the same guy who is making our upcoming highgain tube thing(hopefully)
                    He can turn anything that has good powertrafo's into something great.
                    By the way try this link, it is about the DSL100.
                    http://www.guitarworld.com/gearrevie...shall.amp.html
                    I agree with Rid. The 100 watter is a bit woodier, fuller, and definitely bassier that a 50 watter. I used to have a 100 watt DSL, and it was a great amp at any volume.

Comment

Yeh i got the DSL50 and its a great amp...love it to bits.
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

i like the dsl 50 best of the bunch. true it doesnt have as much clean headroom and not quite as much bass but i like the way it compresses a little better

Comment

I have a DSL 50. Great, very versatile amps. I had to have some repairs done on mine, and had a new transformer put in, and it sounds unbelieveable, much more older marshall-ish(jcm800/plexi)
                          Fender Classic 60's Strat
                          Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
                          DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
                          Vox V848 wah
                          Line 6 MM-4
                          Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys! (oops, rhyme)

The DSL 50 is a head, right - and although Rid had partially addressed this for me (cheers!), I was wondering if you actually NEEDED a cabinet to play... because at the moment, If you could just run straight off the head - that would be fine for me.
                            I'm not needing to play anywhere else but in my house at the moment...?

Thanks
                            Bee

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys! (oops, rhyme)

The DSL 50 is a head, right - and although Rid had partially addressed this for me (cheers!), I was wondering if you actually NEEDED a cabinet to play... because at the moment, If you could just run straight off the head - that would be fine for me.
                              I'm not needing to play anywhere else but in my house at the moment...?

Thanks
                              Bee
                              Yes, the DSL 50 is a head. Its just an amp that doesn't have a speaker. So, you would need a cab...I'd suggest getting a 1x12 cab since you'll just be using it at home.
                              -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                              Vox VT15
                              Washburn D10SCE
                              Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Working...
                              X