Difference between Plexi and JCM 800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Plexi and JCM 800?

I hope that I once in my lifetime is able to get one of them, so I at least can have one true piece of art to my name.

So, my question is, how big is the difference soundwise? I live in a small place, so to test any of them, I probably have to drive about 300 km. Here (in Norway), JCM 800's are much more plentifull and generally a bit cheaper than Plexis (The superlead is the most common here). Is the Plexi worth the extra time and money? How big is really the difference soundwise?

(I realise that there are many differences between different models and years for both amplifiers, but you can either speak generally, or compare a superlead to a single channel jcm. I have a dedicated amp for cleans anyway)

Re: Difference between Plexi and JCM 800?

One of the main differences is that the JCM 800 is a master volume amp, while the Plexi is a non-master volume amp. Tone-wise, the JCM 800 is similar to a brighter metal-faced Plexi.

Comment

Plexi's RULE - Much better tone than a JCM 800

However, you have to deal with the volume!
      Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
      When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
      Red Devils - 1% all the way!
      Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
      Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I recently sold my JCM800 because I never play it now that I have a Plexi. The Plexi can get very similar to the JCM800 tone if you want, but it also cleans up very nicely. Overall it cuts the mix better and the tone of the guitar seems to shine a bit more. You can bridge the 2 channels and really dime in on your sound.

As you have probably heard, plexis have to be turned up very loud to get "the tone". I use an attenuator with mine.
        https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else up to this point. I had a Plexi reissue /w a master volume mod, and it sounded exactly like my JCM 800, but better (i.e, not annoyingly bright). Plexi all the way!

Comment

dam i wish i had a plexi!
            Down at the edge, close by a river.
            Close to the edge, round by the corner.
            Close to the end, down by the corner.
            Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Both of these heads are very bright, which is a trademark Marshall sound ... "Glassy" is the term Marshall uses, and it's appropriate. I don't find it to be a bad thing, in that they are not thin sounding, which would indicate an overly-bright amp with no mids or bass ... and they get brighter when you pour on the gain!! However, I've found that with the Treble set to 2, I get a great tone out of it!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

marshalls do sound bright, but the have lots of upper mids which really help them carry thru the mix. just saw derek trucks and he had his super with the treble on 8, mids and bass around 2 or 3. i would think that would be overly bright, but it sounded great in the mix

Comment

Thanks for the replies. That leads me to two other questions: How much does the year the model was made count quality wise (I think Plexi now)? And how does a power attenuator color the sound (I know that it lowers the volume, so that you still can have the power amp running.)? It is probably sacrilege even to ask, though

And, one more thing. When Marshalls are bright, and gets brighter with more gain, how the hell did George Lynch, with an all maple guitar, avoid being called Mr. Icepick, instead of Mr. Scary?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion
                    Thanks for the replies. That leads me to two other questions: How much does the year the model was made count quality wise (I think Plexi now)? And how does a power attenuator color the sound (I know that it lowers the volume, so that you still can have the power amp running.)? It is probably sacrilege even to ask, though

And, one more thing. When Marshalls are bright, and gets brighter with more gain, how the hell did George Lynch, with an all maple guitar, avoid being called Mr. Icepick, instead of Mr. Scary?
                    I'll answer the second Q, since I have a couple of Lynch guitars as well as a JCM800 ...
                    It depends on what stage of Lynch's sound you're talking about, and his site has detailed equipment lists for each album. But, essentially, to nail that 80's tone, you would turn the gain down and throw an overdrive pedal in front of the Marshall. This thickens the sound a lot. The tone control on the OD helps tame the high freqs as well. You also want to watch the Presence and Treble setting. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the maple bodies; They have incredible attack and sustain, and are very present, but I have yet to be in a situation where I thought my Lynch guitars were overly bright ...
                    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 06-13-2004, 08:01 AM.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Basicly all what they said, plus a SLP/1987x has a huge sound that lies well in the mix,
                      it is not as gainy(buzzy) as newer amps are/can be.
                      The 100 watter has more headroom and lots of that big open sound you hear on classic rock records, the JCM 800's is actually based on the 70's SuperLeads with a master, they too can actually be modded into that older sound with relativly ease, since they still have good filtering and good powertrafo's.
                      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 06-13-2004, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the answers everyone! This pretty much sums up my questions.

Comment

What most everybody else said, Plexi + attenuator all the way. With a Plexi you can jumper the two channels and dial in a really fat sound. A JCM 800 sounds somewhat thin and buzzy in comparison.

Comment

I don't disagree with the general preference of the Plexi, but I would ask - what sound are you after? I'd have to say the JCM800 will get you a broader 'palette' of sounds and possibly be a far better option for gigging than an origianl Plexi (which I'm assuming from your post is what you are looking at reather than a reissue)...
                            'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

When we are at the topic, any news about the new Plaxi Reissues that were supposed to come?

Comment

Working...
                              X