banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer, straight or slant cabs? and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you prefer, straight or slant cabs? and why?

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
    You need to be about 20 feet or more away from your cab before it starts to sound right. Closer than 10 feet and the speakers are aimed at your chest. From about 12 to 15 or 18 feet (depending on make/model of speaker) your head is in the speaker beam. After that, you get the full spread with little to no beam.

Also, some speakers are more directional than others. I friend of mine is running a pair of Greenbacks and he swears that when he steps out of the speakers cone of projection the volume drops by atleast half.
    My speakers are vintage 30s in an ENGL slant cab. And yeah all im talking about is standing about 6 foot away at most, so i guess that doesnt really count
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
      My speakers are vintage 30s in an ENGL slant cab. And yeah all im talking about is standing about 6 foot away at most, so i guess that doesnt really count
      Doesn't really count, but I know what you mean.

Sometimes, I like to crank my amp and sit on the floor about four or five feet in front of my cab and play lots of chugga chugga stuff with this big, stupid looking grin on my face.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

if i could have a spherical cab i sure would.
        Originally posted by krankguitarist
        And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

Slant, most definitely, they look better, and perform better as a half stack, with PA being what it is the full stack is almost a thing of the past ; even if two cabs were required, I'd opt for two slants in a half stack array.They work good laid of their side also with the two slant sections in one plane. That's great so you can here yourself all over the stage( so can the rest of the band), and without that top end smacking you in your face (also causes less phase cancellation that way). Ideally the cabinet could be made a little deeper though.I still prefer them if they are ported with a telescopic port, but that's me.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by RushOfBlood
            if i could have a spherical cab i sure would.

no more worries about cones of projection... but imagine getting it out of a 3 door hatchback

Comment

No preference...gimme both and a big Plexi head!

Comment

Straight or Slant, doesn't matter to me, as long as they're Marshall....
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
                X