Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would this compare to a PRS?

Originally posted by Blue Calx
    hey, wait a sec... those aren't DiMarzios in that guitar... how'd they get away with double cremes?
    Carvin's bobbins have 11 poles each. DiMarzio has 6. DiMarzio tried to fight that but couldn't. DiMarzio trademarked the double-cream bobbin on the basis that the "look" was originated by DiMarzio and that the originator of the pickups, Gibson, meant for theirs to be covered. DiMarzios pickups were meant to be seen uncovered.

Carivin's pickups have always had an original lok of their own. DiMarzio counldn't win those suits.
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

yeah. the carvin pups have great sounds on bends because of all the poles.
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

i might cover my dimazrio's, they look pretty plain, so i figure its no big loss

and nice guitar!

Comment

To answer your question, it doesn't.

The prs is more of a luxury automobile--the carvin's are tight, though, and def hold their own. I've never owned a Carvin but i actually played a pretty nice neck through one today (when I bought my DSL100!) and it was pretty sleek. I thought the pickups had a nice bite to them without being shrill. Nice access to upper frets (better than PRS) but the weight and the feel of the Carvin's are (I don't want to say cheaper, but...) cheaper.

But you know what, they are! And that's a good thing. And remember the resale on those guitars is terrible. Take advantage of that and buy one used on HC. Or give music gear guys here in denver (actually Arvada, CO) a call, they have quite a few carvins hanging on the wall.

Comment

Carvins are very good guitars for the money. They are not PRS quality but still decent axes. Stay away from the amps. The 3 people I know who had them all had major repair problems with them.

Comment

unfortunately i live in the uk so carvins are few and far between, i could get one brought over and i'd pay my uncle back or something, but i've never seen one go second hand yet... just one shop has two strat type dual HB guitars that i liked
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid
              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Excellent axe! The build is fantastic and quite comparable in feel to PRS. Also has a 25" scale like PRS and (this is the part I like) about half the price of a prs.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The problem I find is the feel of Carvins. I bought two Carvins in the last 6 years and returned both becuse there was no vibe or feel with those guitars in my opnion. Pick up a good PRS or Gibson and the difference is night and day.

Comment

carvin makes fine guitars, but those pickups sounds like bad terd. They really do.

Comment

Working...
                    X