Jcm? Dsl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcm? Dsl?

I'm looking for an amp to build/develop a sound around...and while I've tried other amps from other brands I've found I'm somewhat of a Marshall kinda guy. There's just something about these amps...I have a Marshall MG250DFX, and I really, really like the sounds I'm getting out of it (it's so surprising, if you have the money and need a no-nonsense no-maintainence amp...buy one!), but I want something a little more 'professional', with tubes, and something of time tested user approved quality...

...and since I am trying to develop a sound of my own (or something along those lines, it's so difficult to say; "develop a sound of my own"...like I can develop it conciously...to my understanding it just kind of happens after a certain amount of time, if at all...but I digress...) and since I am a Marshall kinda guy I was considering the purchase of either a JCM 800/900 or DSL 100 ( is there a 50? ).

The problem is that, while I enjoy Marshalls, and while most of my favorite players use the JCM and DSL series amps, I know next to nothing about them.

Now, this isn't another "Which amp should I buy?" thread, because I know I'll end up getting one of them, but before I go and try one out I'd enjoy hearing some testimony, advice, or opinions from players (that I RESPECT greatly) here on the Seymour Duncan boards.

I'm doing my own internet/local guitar store research, but I would appreciate some kind of feedback concerning both the JCM and DSL series from you fine people so I have some kind of idea of what expect/anticipate as I embark on my battery of bench tests.

Thanks in advance.

oh yeah, and thanks for all that other help I've recieved on amplifiers and their particulars...

#EDIT: I've been looking through the other "Marshall" threads on the boards and they've been helpful, so I guess the focus should be changed to:

"Compare and Contrast the JCM and DSL series amps with testimony, advice, or opinions"

Sorry 'bout the mix up. Thanks!
    Last edited by Closed Eye; 06-14-2004, 02:30 AM.

Re: Jcm? Dsl?

hey closed eye. recently created a thread regarding the jcm dsl's... might want to give it a look

Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I have a Marshall 900 Dual Reverb 50W combo. I like it, and I don't like it. To explain a little more. The drive channel on this Amp is excellent, the clean leaves much to be desired. The 900 series I believe has a transistor preamp, so it is not as pure as other Marshalls. Don't get me wrong the way I am using it it works really well. I A/B this with a Fender Super reverb, so the lack of good cleans is not an issue for me. The 900 also has an effects loop. I am not a big Fan of effects loops. I would prefer to be able to plug the small # of effects I do use straight in, but this just doesn't work. Delays get really bad sounding if you do not run through the loop. If I had known much of this before I bought this Amp I amy not have bought it. But as I said I have solved the issue with clean, the effect loop still is a bit of a problem but i manage with it. I would recommend you take a look at the 800 channel switching Amp. I think the model is 2205. The drive on this is excellent, very modern, and the clean sounds very reminisant of the JTK 45. If I can find one of these I am going for it myself!!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The Book 'The History of Marshall' by Michael Doyle has shematics for almost every amp they've ever made. You should check it out!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I think the JCM 800 line would be an excellent place to start. ( I'd recommend starting with a 2204, pre-1986 ). I find these amps to be excellent " Building Blocks " for structuring tonal preferences. You can run them fairly clean ( like I do ), and boost them with a good quality overdrive pedal, you can run an attenuator with them, or you can simply use what the amp itself gives you. Just a thought...............
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
          X