Mahogany vs Mahogany w Maple Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany vs Mahogany w Maple Top

What will be the difference in tone between and SG with a solid Mahogany body compared to the same guitar with a mahogany body but with a maple top??

Re: Mahogany vs Mahogany w Maple Top

A maple top will give a mahogany guitar more brightness.

MCG

Comment

the above is usually true, but an SG is such a thin guitar (i bet the maple top is just a veneer and as such won't add much tonal difference) if the maple top was of substantial thickness then it would add more top end bite and sparkle
      Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
      Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
      www.gaugeguitars.com
      Cheers!

Comment

maple capped mahogony bodies are more complex sounding. They have more brightness than a normal mahog bodied guitar, and the warm bass of the mahog
        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

It's probably a good thing in terms of feel to have the maple top, the weight should balance out better and the headstock won't dive as much.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Working...
          X