banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Wood For new Warmoth Strat.. Suggesions PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Wood For new Warmoth Strat.. Suggesions PLEASE!!!

Hello all,
    I am now GASing for a new custom HSS Strat. I think i'll either use a Warmoth Or USA Custom body. What I need is a nice Stratty sound in the neck and mid postions with some added warmth and KRUNCH for the bridge HB. ALA Janes Addiction, Tool, etc...
    Should I go with an Alder or Ash body, or do you think using Mahagony would be the way to go? Are there any downsides to using Mahogany for the strat tonality?
    Thanks,
    Loudriver
    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
    Martin D28

Re: Body Wood For new Warmoth Strat.. Suggesions PLEASE!!!

hmmm. i would go with the mahogany because of the crunch. it should also give you some nice mid and neck sounds.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

What about Mahogany with a Maple Top???
      MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
      Martin D28

Comment

I'd say go traditional. go with ash or alder. If you want a brighter tone, ash will help you out. the thing about strats is that they sound like strats because of what they are made of and how they are designed. The first thing to go when you start f'ing with woods and pickguards and such is that true fender quack. If you want a really strat sounding neck and mid, keep it simple on the woods and pickguard. then, because there are so many options in terms of HB pickups, you can really choose carefully to get the best tone with the rest of the strat. Personally, I think that the JB might be a great pup for this. Having a pup attached to a plastic pick guard can give it a warmer tone to begin with, and the JB might compliment that nicely. Or maybe a 59b.

BTW, for the best Fender strat tone, get a single ply pickguard. they make the guitars sound much warmer and fuller!! it's what the early strats had.
        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Great info KAKNIGHT!!!
          I do want to keep that strat Squack for sure.... Besides if i need a warmer bridge tone I can always roll a little tone off.
          Loudriver.
          MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
          Martin D28

Comment

also assuming that you are going to use somewhat traditional wiring scheme, you will have a 250k volume pot which will make an HB sound less bright than in most HB only guitars.
            Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking of going with traditional wiring, except for the #4 Postion where I'll probably split the humbucker to match better with the SC in the middle.
              MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
              Martin D28

Comment

Alder. Ash will be two spanky for the bridge tone you want, and mahogany will probably be too mellow for the neck and mid tones you want.
                This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by kaknight
                  I'd say go traditional. go with ash or alder. If you want a brighter tone, ash will help you out. the thing about strats is that they sound like strats because of what they are made of and how they are designed. The first thing to go when you start f'ing with woods and pickguards and such is that true fender quack. If you want a really strat sounding neck and mid, keep it simple on the woods and pickguard. then, because there are so many options in terms of HB pickups, you can really choose carefully to get the best tone with the rest of the strat. Personally, I think that the JB might be a great pup for this. Having a pup attached to a plastic pick guard can give it a warmer tone to begin with, and the JB might compliment that nicely. Or maybe a 59b.

BTW, for the best Fender strat tone, get a single ply pickguard. they make the guitars sound much warmer and fuller!! it's what the early strats had.
                  Kaknights pretty spot on when it comes to getting the Fender sound, but I'd like to suggest Koa as a tonewood. Midrangey and a little brighter than mahogany, it still retains a lot of quack and treble when paired with single coils. Looks fab naturally finished as well.
                  'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

yeah koa definatly. my friend has a warmoth koa bottom maple top guitar. the thing is nice and punchy in the bridge. as for the neck it is a little bit warmer than ash but in a good way.
                    Down at the edge, close by a river.
                    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                    Close to the end, down by the corner.
                    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

I would go with alder or even basswood. Ash gets a bad rap sometimes-it is really a warm sounding tonewood, but it is normally associated with maple neck telecasters, which are bright sounding guitars, and therefore people always think ash=bright. Ever play the Gibson Swamp Ash Studio? No brightness there.

With that said, i would not go with Ash only because Ash is not as consistent in terms of weight as alder or basswood is.

Basswood is a light wood, that is sonically similar to alder. It is not a "cheap" wood, and has been used on many high end guitars.

Also, i do not think having a single ply versus a triple ply pickkguard has any affect on tone whatsoever. I have owned dozens of strats, and I just don't see this.

In the end, whatever wood you go with, as long as it is a quality, resonant piece, and the neck joint is nice and tight, and you put good pickups in, you will have a good sounding guitar.

I have two warmoths, and they both sound fantastic. Good luck.
                      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

koa would be a perfect in between wood for your guitar Seraphial pretty much laid out the reason why.
                        Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                        The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe it's just me cuz I'm a whore for it, but what about Korina?

Comment

How about a mahogany body with a fat maple neck? I asked reviews about woods in a H/S/S guitar before and mahogany seemed right there for the strat tone with alder. Wouldn't the maple neck (especially something fat) be enough to add that "quack"?

The mahogany body should add crunch to the humbucker. All in all, that sounds like it'd be a good combination, no? (I'm trying to think of an alternative to koa because it's pricey).
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Thanks again guys, I appreciate your advice. Now I just need to think about it for a while. All and all i'm still leaning towards Alder, but anything is possible. I am planning a trip to the Warmoth Factory in Washington this July so we shall see what I wind up with.
                              Muaha ha ha ha!!!
                              You all rule, thanks a million.
                              Loudriver
                              MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                              Martin D28

Comment

Working...
                              X