help me start recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me start recording

i was reading this article on musicians friend about how to start recording on my computer. im a total noobie at this and i got confused quickly.

link to the article.
    Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

appearently what i want is a USB box. then what? what software do i need? anything else i need?

recording is new to me so like i said i know nothing so i figured ill buy like the cheapest USB box they have to figure out how to work with the junk. i found this one for 40 bucks,

link to it
    Need to find something? Let the Musician's Friend site map guide you to the products you're looking for.

the description of this item claims that it is plug and play and i dont need any software. so i figured id just get that and work around with it for a while. i know since its so cheap its probally a piece, but the plug and play ability is tempting me because i dont want to hassle with junk.

what should i do?
    The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Re: help me start recording

get a shure sm57 and a small mixer. Like a Berhinger one channel thing, run the 1/4" output into a connecter that converts it to a 1/8" jack, and plug it into the back of your computer in the "mic" input. Then you can download Krystal or a simple version of Pro Tools off the net, and you have a pretty good recording set up right there.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

The behringer mixer will work well. It will give you lots of control. I have the Eurorack UB802 Behringer mixer.

I have not tried it with a mic because I'm playing at low volumes at home and prefer to go direct.

What I do is go from the line out of my Vox Valvetronix AD-60 using a standard guitar cable to a Behringer GI Ultra-G DI Box. Then from the DI Box to the mixer. The Eurorack UB802 Behringer mixer. It has RCA jacks out, so if your soundcard has that connection, perfect. If not you can go 1/4 out converted 1/8 and into the sound card. Radio Shack has the converter.

The Behringer GI Ultra-G DI Box is $29 and has 4x12 cabinet simulation. The Eurorack UB802 Behringer mixer is $59. The Eurorack UB802 Behringer will power the DI-Box so you won't have to use 9 volt batteries (phantom power).

I like recording direct without a mic becuase you don't have to worry about backround noise, which can be anything from coughing while playing, my dog shaking her collar, or stomping my feet while playing. Good luck
      GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
      KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

ok, thanks alot. hopefully i can get this working.
        The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

i downloaded pro tools free from download.com but im having trouble trying to figure out how to use it. i start a new session, click create new audio track then i hit record, then i hit recorde on that other control thing, then spacebar to select the audio track, but then it says something along the lines of cant allocate memory or some ****. i have about 1.8 gigs left on my harddrive so i should have enough memory. its confusing.

Comment

I've been looking for a SPDIF equipped sound card for my comp for home recording from my GNX-2. Anyone have any suggestions for one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Comment

cool edit pro. for some reason, pro tools is a standard, but i personally hate it. cool edit pro is VERY easy to use and has plenty of tools for the every day home recorder.

Comment

I think the free Pro Tools version only works with certain versions of Windows -- the specs should be somewhere on their site. A nice, inexpensive alternative is nTrack, which you can try before you buy online. If you think you are going to really get into it, then I would recommend the FMR Audio RNP and RNC 2 channel preamp and compressor units for a significant upgrade over things like the Behringer mixer. The M-Audio preamps are also nice from what I hear, and the price is right.

As for USB, it works well only for 2 in and 2 out recording -- anything more is pretty unreliable (USB 2.0 should change that). The M-Audio Audiophile USB works well, but the Echo Indigo I/O is more portable and impressive if you have a laptop or PCMCIA card drive.

The SM57 is a standard for electric guitar and other high output instruments, but a decent condenser mic is preferable for acoustic guitar and most voices. Again, if you really get into it, there are many choices, but the BLUE Baby Bottle is a very versatile and a very high quality large diaphragm condenser mic for under $500.

Comment

Working...
                X