Ibanez Tube King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Tube King

I think I may have found the holy grail for my rig!! I was at a guitar store today and the guy showed me an Ibanez Tube King pedal and I am in love!! It is just what I have been looking for and it is really deversital. I like my Fulldrive a lot but it just doesn't get heavy enough for the sound i want. Anyone else got one of these or played with one before??
    sigpic
    GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
    PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
    AMP: Fender DeVille

Re: Ibanez Tube King

When I was looking for my tubescreamer, I was tempted to get one of those. It's very strange that Ibanez didn't keep making them, must be because they are more expensive to make and actually have tubes in them. They're pretty amazing pedals, if you can find one for a good price, I say jump on it
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      When I was looking for my tubescreamer, I was tempted to get one of those. It's very strange that Ibanez didn't keep making them, must be because they are more expensive to make and actually have tubes in them. They're pretty amazing pedals, if you can find one for a good price, I say jump on it
      Ok guys more pedal knowledge from a pedal nut....Yes,the Ibanez Tube King was a great pedal.it was also almost a direct copy as the coveted pedal used forever by Eric Johnson(The Chandler Tube Unit)....I remember Ibanez having to stop making or copying that circuit and if memory serves me,there was the first edition Tube Driver that was great and another redone issue,that kinda sucked...A buddy of mine bought the first model of this pedal and ran it through a reissue VoX AC30 that Hoffman put one of his hard wired boards into...This pedal through this amp was Brian May,Petty,and Brian Adams heaven...I remember the pedal vividly and it's one of those pedals I wish I had jumped on and didn't...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Good info John! I had no idea it was a copy of the Chandler Tube... very cool
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          Good info John! I had no idea it was a copy of the Chandler Tube... very cool
          The Ibanez Tube King was great....It had alot more available gain,A 12AX7 and had alot of tonal adjustment and great tone...They are pretty rare these days,just like the Vox ValveTone which I did grab a few years or more for like $45...Cool pedals...

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Damn, here comes more G.A.S. lol!!!
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

was the good version the made in Japan version?.....cause a good buddy of mine is selling his, and he said its a rare MIJ tube king, 12ax7 tube........ whats a good price?
              http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
              >cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I'm using Chandler Tube Drive mod on Line 6 DM-4...it sounds great and has the same 12AX7 tube compress emulated in it but of course it does not have a real tube in it...so my question is did any of you have the opportunity to compare a real Chandler Tube Driver with the Line 6 DM-4 Tube Driver mod?Do they really sound exactly the same or are there negligible differences?Also they could sound totally different anyway I like the emulated sound but I'm curious if Line 6 accomplished to reproduce the Chandler...
                90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
                99' USA Fender Stratocaster
                96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
                79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                  Ok guys more pedal knowledge from a pedal nut....Yes,the Ibanez Tube King was a great pedal.it was also almost a direct copy as the coveted pedal used forever by Eric Johnson(The Chandler Tube Unit)....I remember Ibanez having to stop making or copying that circuit and if memory serves me,there was the first edition Tube Driver that was great and another redone issue,that kinda sucked...A buddy of mine bought the first model of this pedal and ran it through a reissue VoX AC30 that Hoffman put one of his hard wired boards into...This pedal through this amp was Brian May,Petty,and Brian Adams heaven...I remember the pedal vividly and it's one of those pedals I wish I had jumped on and didn't...

John
                  Not to discourage anyone, but I believe I had one of the latter series and it sucked. Well - I didn't like the tone: brittle, not warm at all, too low a volume boost. I couldn't make it sound the way I wanted it to. This is the only pedal I don't regret getting rid of. But if you find one you like go ahead - tastes are different.
                  Tony
                  Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Quick question - I know jack about pedals - especially tube pedals, all I want to know is would a tube screamer or Tube Screamer make a digital amp sound better - i.e. the Marshall MG250DFX I have?

Comment

what the difference between a tube screamer and Tube Screamer?

is the mg250sdfx a digital amp or does it just have digital fx?

the tube screamer isnt a tube pedal, the tube king is. i think either will sound good with your amp if you like that kind of tone. as far as warming up the sound, the tube king might be useful as a preamp (set the gain low and use the eq to add some mids and smooth out the highs but i dont think the tube screamer would be overly effective at that

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                        what the difference between a tube screamer and Tube Screamer?

is the mg250sdfx a digital amp or does it just have digital fx?

the tube screamer isnt a tube pedal, the tube king is. i think either will sound good with your amp if you like that kind of tone. as far as warming up the sound, the tube king might be useful as a preamp (set the gain low and use the eq to add some mids and smooth out the highs but i dont think the tube screamer would be overly effective at that
                        Jeremy good point buddy....Actually the Tube King has a different voicing...I'm not real sure on the first edition vs second edition,but I have reason to believe that the first one was "The One"...After reading that the original was a circuit copy of a preexisting pedal,I remember not seeing the Tube King in my catalogs...it just sought of vanished or got overshadowed by the other 15 Ibanez Tube Screamers being made! Plug into the pedal and see if it strikes your fancy Flank...Buy it if it sounds good to you and the price is right for ya?

John..

Comment

I never knew the Chandler and Tube King were virtually identical! I had great fun trying different tubes and op-amps in my old Chandler Tube Driver.

Comment

The Marshall MG250DFX is a solid-state amp with Digital FX and FDD (Frequency Dependant Damping) which is supposed to 'mimic the interaction of an all-valve amp's power stage with the loudspeaker(s) it is driving'

Not having played through an all-valve amp I couldn't tell you if this is true or not. Could post some clips maybe?

The amp sounds good but not great and as I can't afford a decent tube amp right now I was looking for a cheaper alternative to get some nice tones out of it and make the most of my new APII's.

Comment

Working...
                            X