Tune o matic bridge questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune o matic bridge questions

Ok i dont use the trem on my gordon smith anymore... come to think of it i havent used it for a year now since i lost the trem bar.

i'll post a pic as soon as i can showing it but basically there is n routing for the trem, its just screwed down on top and is floating. its pretty stiff and doesnt go out for bends, just i dont use it anymore.

what i was wondering is - i know les pauls have a back tilted neck (am i right there?)

my guitar doesn't, but i was wondering if i could still fit a tune o matic.

if not - could you reccomend me another type of hard tail bridge i could have fitted to my guitar?

also if i wanted a tune o matic - could i have it strung through body a la schecter guitars or can you not buy the parts for that

thanks in advance
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: Tune o matic bridge questions

I wouldn't trouble with a TOM on a guitar that is already routed for a trem like that. I think that it would look like butt! Personally, I don't think that going with any hard tail bridge is going to make a really big difference on your guitar. I mean if you were getting a new one that would be a different story, but if you are determined, I would look into some of the hard tails that are out there that basically look like a trem bridge but mount solid to the body.
    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

you could use a hard tail strat trem or you can recess the tune o matic into the body so you wont have to angle the neck, you have to rout out the wood underneith so the bridge isnt so high off the body. its probably easier to just use the strat hard tail trem

Comment

i dunno if there was some confusion but there is absolotuley no routing what so ever

there is only three screws which attatch the trem to the top of the guitar
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Are you sure? I would think there'd have to be some type of routing for the trem, I don't think you can just screw it down like that. But if that's actually the case, a good tech should be able to route it for a TOM bridge. The problem you'd have is routing the correct angle in the neck pocket, unless the guitar is a bolt on. If it's a set neck, you'd actually have to have the neck removed, the angle cut, and then the neck reset. That would likely be very expensive, and I'm not sure it could even be done. I guess it's possible to remove a set neck somehow, but I'm not totally sure. I'd just let it go if I were you.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

right which is why a strat style hardtail makes sense. re-drill some holes and youre all set. personally i prefer to go thru the body when doing those bridges but im sure you can find one thatll let you top mount the strings

Comment

yeah im sure there is no routing - i'll post a pic after

the guitar is a bolt

but im liking the idea of a strat hardtail more atm

which ones should i be looking at?
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

one thing you could do have both a tune o matic and a guitar with no neck angle (which is what you have) is to router out a space into the guitar top in which the tuneomatic will sit
                that's what musica man does - keeps all their guitar tops flat and their guitar line easier to produce
                a recessed tuneomatic would work
                but its some work to do
                you'd prob be better off with a hardtail strat bridge
                i'd recommend a hipshot one
                Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                www.gaugeguitars.com
                Cheers!

Comment

If there is no routing and it's a bolt-on, then yes, a decent luthier can install a TOM bridge no problem, although he'll have to fill the existing holes unless you don't mind the look of the holes. I agree, a Strat hardtail is the way to go if it's a direct fit.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

while that is true, he'd have to either recess the tune o matic or create a neck angle which may make the FB stick out from the guitar a little more than desired
                    a tune-o-matic will require anywhere from a 1.5 to 3 degree neck angle
                    www.gaugeguitars.com
                    Cheers!

Comment

thanks blueline thats what i wanted to know

so it looks like i should go for a strat hardtail bridge - whats the best kind to get?
                      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

i think hipshot makes a good quality one - machined out of solid brass, etc.
                        www.gaugeguitars.com
                        Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
                          i think hipshot makes a good quality one - machined out of solid brass, etc.

doesnt brass make the guitar brighter?

i have a brass nut on this guitar and open notes seem to ring really well but are somewhat bright
                          My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

this the one?

My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                            X