What's the best trem out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special strings = lame.

Yeah, I think that Kahler Steeler looks pretty great right now.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
      I think Kahler's "The Steeler" looks like a killer trem (ran a search and someone on another forum commented that it blew away all the other trems in existence, including FR). I may have to check that out. Anyone know where I can purchase one?
      Lol, the Steeler was one of the trems they were sued over

You won´t find them new very easily
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Oops... ... didn't realize that.

It does look awesome, so maaaybe if I cross my fingers and look hard enough it'll appear

The other models looked decent. Like the Spyder or the Killer...
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

But it is a good trem

Comment

None of these are looking too hot right now.

Is there anything simple?

The Kahler Flyer supposedly doesn't sound the greatest.

The pro series stuff you have to solder the ball ends (that's crap to me).

Am I forced to look around for a Spyder or one of their other discontinued models?
            Last edited by That90'sGuy; 03-20-2004, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Ok... I think I've decided to screw Kahler.

The Wilkinson non locking ones look nice and they don't suck tone out like the Kahlers do (from what I'm reading).

Comment

I've never had a problem with kahlers sucking tone at all - at least not with the kahler pro. I'll bet money that unless you're a serious floyd rose nut, you'll agree. The kahler pro can do everything a floyd rose can, but without the pain in the butt that can go along with a floyd.

The nice thing is, with a kahler, since it's a cam based trem, you can do a lot of the bigsby stuff with it. Not to mention it can take pretty much everything you throw at it.
                Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
                  ....Wilkinson is a good compromise....much better than a two pivot trem like the ones on fender's american series ...
                  How does the Wilkinson differ from the Fender two pivot trems? I've never seen one up close, but to me the Wilkinson bascially looks like a Fender strat trem with two pivot posts and knife-edge bearings.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Byakhee00
                    I've never had a problem with kahlers sucking tone at all - at least not with the kahler pro. I'll bet money that unless you're a serious floyd rose nut, you'll agree. The kahler pro can do everything a floyd rose can, but without the pain in the butt that can go along with a floyd.

The nice thing is, with a kahler, since it's a cam based trem, you can do a lot of the bigsby stuff with it. Not to mention it can take pretty much everything you throw at it.
                    Aren't the Kahler Pros difficult to setup and work properly. I've heard they're bulletproof otherwise, but the maintenance with them seems excessive. I don't like the concept of having to solder the ball ends of strings either, not very realistic.

Comment

I like wilkinsons, and the trem system on the Parker Fly Deluxe is a treat to play, as well.

To answer your question, the big difference between the trem on an Am. STD strat and a Wilkinson VS-100 is that the Wilkiinson's saddles are locked onto the baseplate, theoretically increasing sustain, and, since there are less moving parts, it also increases tuning stability. Also, you can adjust the arm tension on a Wilkinson.
                      Last edited by Benjy_26; 03-22-2004, 12:02 PM.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Steinberger Trans-Trem by a country mile.
                        F#@{ Clapton- Wenger is God!

Comment

i dont know if anyone else has done this but...

i use a jazzmaster/jaguar trem w/ a gibson bridge on my warmoth flat top lp. i tightend the trem spring on it and i have locking tuners. it works really well for light-mild use. the sustains is nice on it to.

just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

The only thing better than a Wilkinson is no trem at all!

Comment

Cool... I always wondered about those types of trems... nice idea

Comment

You would have to pry my OFR from my dead cold hands......
                                Mine has tone, stays in tune, have been using those things for a great many years, and have no trouble using them nor setting them up.
                                Wilkinsons are nice...but it is not as stable as a good Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                                X