Weezer (Blue Album) gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weezer (Blue Album) gear

What did the dudes from weezer use for their guitars, amps, pickups, accessories etc on their very first album, at least I THINK the blue one was their first. Anyway, I love the sweet, defined, vintage sounding overdrive, that still has definition and crunch, but sorta sounds like a neck humbucker with more crunch and with pinch harmonics. I love the cleans too, think "Say it Ain't So". What did they use???
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Weezer (Blue Album) gear

A Mitchell (Mesa Boogie) amp and an old 50's Les Paul Junior DC loaded with P-90's.

Comment

bump
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

For live stuff Rivers uses a Warmoth strat with a Super Distortion bridge and 59 neck into Marshalls -- that was before they started using PODs instead of amps live tho.

It's actually a pretty typical rock set-up, i think it's just a matter of getting it right-on, y'know?

And as a side note, i'm glad I'm not the only 666-er who has a thing for Weezer

-X
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Yeah, I beleive that Brian didn't have anything to do with the guitar tracking on the blue album and Rivers did use any of his own gear. I recall hearing that he used a DC with p-90's in it... I don't remember the amp. My Weezer days were long before my guitar gear loving days.
          The bassist on the other hand, he used an Ampeg B-15 and a Fender Mexican J-bass with a Warmoth tele bass neck. But, on the album, it clearly sounds like a P-bass, so, it kind of confuses me. If you've heard "Only in Dreams," you know what I mean.

So, yeah.... is anyone else diced about these videos of Rivers and Matt? I hope matt comes back and takes Scott's place... I miss matt.
          Last edited by Indie P Bass; 06-17-2004, 02:00 PM.
          You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
            But, on the album, it clearly sounds like a P-bass, so, it kind of confuses me.
            I wired my J-bass pups in series to get that tone.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
              I wired my J-bass pups in series to get that tone.
              well... I used to play my P-bass Deluxe clean through my Kustom III & 115 to get that exact tone.... I figured maybe he used a p-bass....
              You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

brian sung on the album, but didnt play. nor did jason.

for the crunch that rivers got he used ric osakics 1959 gibson les junior with p-90's. the amp has been listed allready. an interesting thing though was rivers had the volume way DOWN. he got that really amazing crunch that way.

the clean parts, such as on sias, rivers used ric's fender jaguar.

also, the solo on my name is jonas, rivers used one of ric's prs's, model is unkown (that us weezer.com boardies got in an interview, lol).

NO EFFECTS AT ALL WERE USED
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

hehe, last year the whole year (school year) all i did was listen to weezer, and go to the boards. i used to post more on that equipment forum than i do here, if you believe that. lol
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

So are there any humbuckers that will get me that tone?
                    • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

dang i love weezer's sound... the crunch in 'dope nose' is so beautiful ....i respect their sound
                      Guitars : 1977 Gibson SG
                      Strat Clone with JB/hotrails combo and warmoth electronics/pickguard

Amps: Randall RH200SC into a Stereo Behringer 4x12
                      and a Marshall Avt20

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                        So are there any humbuckers that will get me that tone?

yes, i guess phat cats could work.

ALSO, remember, that that tone is primarily the amp. the amp was some funky modded to sh*t thing (read the equipment section on weezer.com).

rivers in his warmoth strats to try to match it used a 59 in the neck and a super distortion in the bridge. the 59 does the blue sound pretty well.
                        peavey classic 30
                        johnson j-station
                        yamaha f-310p acoustic
                        taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by Pissant
                          dang i love weezer's sound... the crunch in 'dope nose' is so beautiful ....i respect their sound

the maladriot sound was produced by rivers using a stock gibson explorer. he played into a jcm2000 which he had all the nobs on 10 (volume, gain, treble, bass, everything). on the "quieter" parts, he changed the volume on his guitar.

also, another key part of his sound on that album was pro tools. however, they jammed the songs as a band and the mics bled a lot.

on dope nose, brian played the little fill type things, and he played a stock sg.
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Working...
                          X