Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next guitar??

Hi guys,

I think I'll be buying another guitar this summer. I currently have an LP Standard and a Dean Evo Deluxe, plus a Dean Evo Special which may be up for sale. I thought of selling both Deans for an SG.

Aside from that, I have a little extra cash to spend and was looking at a used Dean Hardtail, PRS McCarty, Singlecut, CU22, or possibly another LP (Historic or limited Standard).

I don't think I really have a need for a Strat, and I could never play one comfortably as I just don't like the neck. I am leaning toward the Dean or PRS.

Any thoughs on your experiences with these guitars?

Thanks.

ps

Re: Next guitar??

prs's are great guitars, play well, feel good, good vibes, i dont know much about deans, nor have much experience with them, but i know they're beautiful, and lastly, the LP's: there's NOTHING like a LP, when i first looked at one of the limited standard lp's i almost wet myself, they're breath taking, plus, great les paul tone.... i'd go with the LP limited standard

Comment

what price range are you in?
      we can be heroes

Comment

$1,000-$2,000, but I'd like to stay around $1,000 used so I coudl use the rest of the money for something else like a nice vacation.

Comment

have you considered a hamer?
          we can be heroes

Comment

I owned a Hamer Mirage that was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever had the pleasure of owning but couldn't vibe with the playability and I had the same experience with my Hamer Studio. I just didn't like the vibe.

Comment

save some cash ... get a PRS Santana SE and put Dragon II or duncan Pickups in it. with the Dragons, it'll put you right around a grand.
              -Greg

Guitars:
              2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
              2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
              2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
              Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I am sure that as you have now discounted Hamers then probably the best thing for you to do is get either a PRS CU 22 or even a Dean Hardtail. The man who has the experience on the Hardtails is Jeff_H and I am sure that he will be posting you with some advice on this. I believe most used Hardtails are around the $1500.

For PRS CU 22 you will probably pay the same amount, or maybe a little extra but of course you should be able to sell it on if you don't get on with it. If you are set on a PRS get the McCarthy one. You might also see if you can get one with a Brazilian fretboard (although these are more expensive) or you may well consider getting a 57 or 58 LP Historic? I think you will find that the PRS are better made than what Gibson can put out and you may have to pay more money. But as always let your ears and fingers be your judge.
                Normans Guitars

Comment

Norman, I have seen PRS models on ebay for as low as $1100 used in greeat shape so that is an option.

Weird thing is....most of the modern and dark tones I enjoy come from LP or LP style guitars. Tool, A Perfec Circle, etc......then again Billy Howerdel uses the Anderson H3 which is bass and mid heavy probably like the Rio Grande BBQ.

Comment

If you can find a Historic for under 2 grand, then that would be exceptional. You've probably played these yourself, and know just as well as I do - that they are some of Gibson's finest. Keep an eye on your local Guitar Retailers, I know my Guitar Center just got one in and it's a beaut.

Comment

i as leaning towards a new gibson lp but im thinking fender american tele or strat now..dont know...
                      Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                      X