banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I put a Flyod in this?(link to pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I put a Flyod in this?(link to pics)

hey,

I'm trying to fix up this crappy guitar and im having trouble with this weird kahler bridge thats on it. I'm wondering if i could just put a new Flyod in there insted, because the kahler thing is garbage.

Heres the link to pictures of the body and bridge

thanks

Re: Could I put a Flyod in this?(link to pics)

i like it, can I have it? Kahler and all, I'll gladly take it off your hands.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

i dunno Empty- maybe one of my friends wants it but i'm trying to fix the bridge probelm first because the action is to high at the back of the neck because i'm missing apart from the bridge. But other then that its not to bad.

Comment

The bridge is not a Kahler but a crappy POS made in Taiwan. IŽve seen them before on low end Imports. Total crap, the spring mount breaks off real easy.

To fit a Floyd, youŽd have to extend the route onto the back. The posts should still have enough meat at the front for stability, but IŽd measure to make sure. Would be one hell of a recess, though

A REAL Kahler should fit the rout, though. THe screw holes may even line up
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The route looks pretty close to the trailing edge of the bridge pickup, it's iffy as is. I'd probably fill the Kahler route and have the guitar re-routed for the Floyd. You're going to have to get the backside routed either way. After that a quick refinish and you'll be good to go.

If the bridge was that bad, I'd replace the nut as well.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

You could put a Flloyd Rose in it, but it'd be WAAAAAAAAAAY too much trouble! Flloyds need very specific routing, and I would think that your Kahler trem route has eaten away most of the areas needed to properly support the Flloyd trem. You'd have to fill in the trem rout with a wood peg cut in the exact same shape as the gaping hole left by your Kahler. Paul Gilbert of Mr. Big had this operation done to several of his Ibanezes when he decided that hardtail bridges were better than the Flloyd style trems that Ibanez was putting in his guitars.

Why go through all the headache? Since it doesn't look like you're using the mid/neck single coil pups, why not plunk down a few hundred bucks for a custiom Warmoth job? Besides, it beats having to sand off that awful candy-sparkle-ruby-red-slippers paint job! Note- the Paul Gilbert lower guitar-body fringe would be purely optional!
            Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
            ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
            ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
            ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
            ESP KH-1
            LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
            BC Rich KKV
            Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
            Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

thanks for all the info guys!

i guess i'll look for a real kahler then and see if that works.

yeah the nut is complete garbage too, so it'll be replaced as well.

this guitar is kind just for anyway its not like my only guitar or anything like that so im not real worried about but i figured since school ended and i have nothing better to do, then I should try and fix the thing.

anyway thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
                thanks for all the info guys!

i guess i'll look for a real kahler then and see if that works.

yeah the nut is complete garbage too, so it'll be replaced as well.

this guitar is kind just for anyway its not like my only guitar or anything like that so im not real worried about but i figured since school ended and i have nothing better to do, then I should try and fix the thing.

anyway thanks again guys.

I have the same guitar body that had the same bridge. A Kahler's mounting screws won't line up with the old holes. Two of the four screws cracked thru after a local guitar guy was nice enough to install the Kahler without filling in the cavity first and screwing them in crooked to boot.

Funny thing is it's the best sounding guitar I have. I don't have the tools or skill to get a block of wood to fit the cavity exactly. I did some research, here's what I'm going to do.

-Remove the paint from the cavity with Citristrip paint and varnish remover spray and a chemical resistant plastic scraper.

-Clean area with Citristrip paint remover wash and stripping pad.

-Apply Minwax wood hardener to the cleaned bridge cavity.

-I don't remember the exact name, but Minwax has an extra strength wood filler. Cut a piece of hardwood ( I got a block of maple from Rockler's) so that three of them will fit into the cavity along with the filller. Lightly press aluminum foil over the cavity, use the cavity outline in the foil as a template to cut the wood to shape.

-Mix up a golf ball sized amount of the filler and spread it on the bottom of the cavity then press in a piece of the hardwood sized as close as possible to fit the cavity.

-Repeat for the other two pieces, alternate the grain with each piece.

-You can do it without the hardwood, but this is the procedure Minwax recommends for filling areas with rotted wood. It sounds a bit stronger, so that's what I'm going to do. You can get all this stuff at Home Depot.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X