How do I choose a JCM800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I choose a JCM800?

StratLover: Where in Washington State are you?

Twilight O: Yeah, I dig your sound. I was thinking about a 50 watter. How was the gig?

All: Here's a big dumb question. Can the JCM800 be played at reasonable household levels?
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Yes with pedals it can be done, but if you want the full glory...crank it.

Comment

I am the proud owner of a 1982 JCM 800 2204, so I can give some advice here.

1. ANY 2203/2204 from 1975 to 1983 is a keeper! They stopped the vertical inputs in 1983 and they do sound slightly different.

2. DO NOT MOD IT! Try to get a stock amp, mods lower the value and IMO, the sound.

3. GET A HOT PLATE! Money well spent and a must have to get the real Marshall sound in all it's glory at household volumes.

4. Take it to a good tech that really knows his Marshalls and make sure it's running to spec.

5. Get a good boost pedal. This will give you all of the gain you will ever need. A TS-9 is the standard but I highly advise looking into Barber's Direct Drive SS. It's cheaper, built better and sounds better as well.

By the way, I don't know where Camas is but Guitarville here in Seattle has an 83 2204, stock with vertical inputs in great shape. www.guitarville.com. Really good guys, give 'em a call.

Cheers,

CJ
        www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666

3. GET A HOT PLATE! Money well spent and a must have to get the real Marshall sound in all it's glory at household volumes.

By the way, I don't know where Camas is but Guitarville here in Seattle has an 83 2204, stock with vertical inputs in great shape. www.guitarville.com. Really good guys, give 'em a call.

Cheers,

CJ
          3. Never considered a Hot Plate, but that makes good sense.

6. Camas is just directly NE of Portland. I checked that link. That looks nice. You got $949 I can borrow? I need to go sell some blood now.

Thanx!
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Hi Matt...I've been following this thread & thought I'd add my .02 :

I've got a 1988 Marshall JCM800 2204 with horizontal inputs. Now aside from the earlier (vertical) models not having the pots soldered to the board, I don't quite get how that makes such a huge difference in the overall TONE of the amp. It seems to me that that only makes mods a little easier. I've never played one & I'm fairly new to tube amps, so I'll have to take everyones word for it but IMHO, I think were getting a lot of snobbery here. Desirable is being confused with quality. In the thread I started before buying mine, everyone lauded it as being a fantastic amp....now everyone seems to be saying it's a piece of crap compared to the verticals.

I don't know what to tell ya' other than it's a great amp, so leave it to your ears!

Yes, I happen to be selling mine, but only because I prefer the massive headroom of my Hiwatt with an OD pedal in front....and I'm not gigging/touring, so it is a little overkill for the garage if you know what I mean!

BTW the Hot Plate has a fantastic reputation, but I opted for the Weber MASS. A fully loaded MASS with all the options, including an impedance switch (switch from 2-4-8-16ohms!) was less than a single impedance Hot Plate. But it is a MUST because they are LOUD!!!

Whichever way you go....ROCK ON BROTHER ! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the amps mentioned!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by JammerMatt
              StratLover: Where in Washington State are you?

Twilight O: Yeah, I dig your sound. I was thinking about a 50 watter. How was the gig?

All: Here's a big dumb question. Can the JCM800 be played at reasonable household levels?
              i am in Wenatchee. but i travel to seattle and spokane often.
              Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
              gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
              SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper666
                I am the proud owner of a 1982 JCM 800 2204, so I can give some advice here.

1. ANY 2203/2204 from 1975 to 1983 is a keeper! They stopped the vertical inputs in 1983 and they do sound slightly different.

2. DO NOT MOD IT! Try to get a stock amp, mods lower the value and IMO, the sound.

4. Take it to a good tech that really knows his Marshalls and make sure it's running to spec.

5. Get a good boost pedal. This will give you all of the gain you will ever need. A TS-9 is the standard but I highly advise looking into Barber's Direct Drive SS. It's cheaper, built better and sounds better as well.

Cheers,

CJ
                i was just there today
                Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
                gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
                SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
                  I would highly suggest a 2210/05....'85 through '89...not modded..even over a Bogner!!!!
                  ..yeah I know short answer to a complex question.....

Jeff Seal
                  I'd listen to Jeff if I were you guys...the guy is THE guru where it comes to 2210/2205's...

They are great amps as long as you avoid the earliest models...the later ones (86-89) had a change to the schematic that made it less fizzy and buzzy...

Get a 2210/2205 from the late 80's and you are in very siimilar territory to the Jub's - for a lot less money...
                  'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Working...
                  X