New P.A.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New P.A.??

Ok my friends band are looking into buying new speakers..
    they have at the moment ok speakers and ok p.a. both of which have seen many many years(a good 15-20 at least)
    they are looking to buy brand new speakers and use their p.a., (which is an old laney by the way)
    but my advice was that they would be much better off getting a new p.a. and keeping the ok speakers till a later date...

Which way would you guys go..

Cheers..
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: New P.A.??

What do they want to upgrade to? and from what? New speakers might be in line that the new sized pa they want would be too much for their current speakers, but if possible i agree that a new pa would be more ideal.

Comment

see there not very knowledgable in that equipment department,so really they want they best sound, the guy who owns the pa at the moment seems commited on new speakers but hes probly the least knowledgable about equipment so i just want to be sure im giving him the best advice...

cheers..
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Well since they plan on redoing everytihng, I'm saying get a new pa unless their current speakers don't have enough power handling. Then upgrade the speakers. A good preamp could prolly go a very long way too.

Comment

I would suggest that if they are upgrading then get active speakers - something like a Mackie/Yamaha/Carlsboro/JBL etc (all do them) - with an active bass as well. 12" speakers (2 way speakers) for the mid and highs (250W) and a 15" for the bass (750W). Typically your bass will need to be at least 3 or 4 times bigger as that's what sucks the most power. Then get a decent mixer with enough channels (24 as a minimum) and use the existing PA that they have got as monitors.

The advantage of using active speakers is that they will grow and expand with you as you can link in more active speakers and it is one box instead of separate boxes - speakers, amps etc. Get some stands for the speakers as that will help in their dispersion.

See the link below to Mackie:

http://www.mackie.com/products/speakers/index.html
          Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
          X