• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvarez acoustics

Anyone know anything about these?

GREAT bang for the buck.

BUT, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Do you want your acoustic to be a dark, muffled POS.... then buy a Martin, because everyone I've played sounds like crap.

Do you want a bright sounding acoustic? Guild, Takamine, Alvarez offer great stuff. The Gibson J-150 was the finest one I've tried.

Do you want a more balanced type tone that isn't too dark? Taylor is my pick for that. Gibson offers some decent stuff, although a lot I've played wasn't that great.

Alvarez guitars are bright, but they aren't the tinny type of bright. They are chimey, full, and brilliant. The AJ-60SC I'm saving up for has a great bass sound as well to it, fantastic overall guitar with a sweet tonal balance that covers more of the spectrum than a lot of its competitors. I'd buy a Gibson J-150 if I had the money, but this basically offers 90% of it's tone for less than 1/6 it's price.
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 03-20-2004, 12:35 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

The type of stuff I like has a bright sounding acoustic to it.

Goo Goo Dolls (great acoustic tone) - use Guild acoustics

Sevendust - "Angel's Son" - Takamine acoustics

Staind - Alvarez-Yairi acoustics
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

I've been on an acoustic search for the past few weeks. I haven't been able to play an Alvarez yet...maybe next week. From what I can tell, they seem to be one of those "Love 'Em or Hate 'Em" type guitars......Sorry, that sounds stupid when you read it.

Anyway, I've got my eye on a Guild or a Takamine. The Martins I've played did nothing for me, a Gibson I played sounded like mud....the Taylors I played were a wet dream, although the price is up there too!!!

Good luck & I'll be watching this thread.....if it helps, I have an active thread with some recommendations that might help.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I own an Alvarez. It's fantastic. Solid spruce top + rosewood neck and body = bliss.
          "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

Alvarez is good, quality stuff....

about martins.... i wouldn't bash them, personally, i know for a fact they make fantastic guitars.... but their lowerline models aren't too hot. Best guitar i've ever played was a martin..... and its not dark and muffled, its full and resonant.....

anyway, yeah, alvarez makes some nice guitars, but be sure to actually play some before you buy, preferably the one you are going to buy, and not just take our word for it. You may have a completely different experience than we have, just like my different experience with the martins.... it all depends on what you like and your personal opinions.
            '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
            Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
            '66 Fender Bassman
            Fender Champion 600
            Fender Stage 100

Comment

I bashed Martins merely on the Guitar Center store I went to (played literally a hundred something acoustic guitars) and a local shop that hand picks the better Martins.

Every one I've tried, even models that were $2000+ sounded like $200 starter packs. They all sound muddy to me, not articulate at all. They lacked life; to me they sounded dull. I tried all the models I could get my hands on to see what was so great about them. Jammed out on the Eric Clapton signature model; still, nothing. The E.C. model was probably the best Martin I heard, but it wasn't anything to brag about. These guitars are severely overpriced.

Comment

not at all, did ur martins have good strings, do u have ears?

martins are a bit bass heavy, but they are very clear, articulate, and full sounding. the bass is there, but so is the treble, nice and chimey, and the mids have presence as well.

alvarez's are to "tinny" for me, so are taylors, taks.

tacoma's, seagulls arent bad for me

gibsons, way to expensive, but nice.

the thing is, your either a martin man, (or woman) or you are a taylor man. the trick is realizing which one you are before u spend too much. being a taylor man is cheaper, ccause u can buy alzerez's and others that sound similar.

alvarez's are really great guitars but dont do it for me, ive played the ad60, and the high end one the, ad80 or whatever. i must say the 80 really harmonizes nicely with my d-15 though !
                Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                Crate VC-3112
                Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                  I bashed Martins merely on the Guitar Center store I went to (played literally a hundred something acoustic guitars) and a local shop that hand picks the better Martins.

Every one I've tried, even models that were $2000+ sounded like $200 starter packs. They all sound muddy to me, not articulate at all. They lacked life; to me they sounded dull. I tried all the models I could get my hands on to see what was so great about them. Jammed out on the Eric Clapton signature model; still, nothing. The E.C. model was probably the best Martin I heard, but it wasn't anything to brag about. These guitars are severely overpriced.
                  yeah, i've had some similar experiences with guitar center acoustics... but when i went to the martin factory, i could just pick up a guitar that was set to be shipped somewhere, all sorts of different models and priceranges, and they were all phenomenal sounding. I guess its strings and whatnot.... speaking of the clapton model... i got to play the prototype for the original clapton model (the one with all the inlay) that clapton tried out to approve... the 2nd best guitar i've ever played....
                  '66 Fender Bassman
                  Fender Champion 600
                  Fender Stage 100

Comment

I had an alvarez a while back and I was a real nice guitar for the money.

Comment

How do they play? Last months Guitar player with Zakk Wylde says he has one, and that it plays "kinda" like an electric.

Comment

The only thing I didn't like about the Alvarez jumbo I tried was that the action seemed to high to really solo and jam out on it with blues runs. The Gibson I played before had much lower, much more playable action. Still, the tone of the Alvarez makes it well worth it.

With the deal with Martins, I guess it's possible that all the acoustics I tried were suffering from abuse (even though my local shop, I find that hard to believe).

Yes, my ears are good. I like to think I have pretty good taste in gear .

Whatever Martins I played, they didn't have any chiminess to them at all. So that leads me to the conclusion that either a) Martins quality control is piss poor (I mean c'mon, the Eric Clapton sig sounded bad?) or b) the places I tried them just must have gotten all their models wrong.

Comment

I have to side with Chris on this one.

As he said, maybe these guitars suffer from the Guitar Center "I've been sitting in this friggin' dump for so long & have been played by every loser under the sun, but nobody will buy me because I'm so friggin' overpriced" Syndrome.

I played 4 Martins: D-15, D-18, DR, & the Grand Auditorium. I really wanted them to be as amazing as I've heard & what the price would imply. They were all on sale, all under $1000.00.....but every single one of them sounded like mud ! I liked the Korean Gretch better & that just should not happen!!

But after reading this thread & the one I started, it looks like I'm a "Taylor Guy"...I like a bright, singing tone that projects w/o the help of amplification. In my search so far, I've liked the Taylor & the Takamine....can't wait to try a Guild & an Alvarez next week !
                          Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 03-21-2004, 05:36 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Oh, BTW, as far as playability goes.... one of my guitar heros, Monte Montgomery, plays an alvarez Yiari, and he plays some of the most insane things, you would think he was playing an electric, just wicked mad chops, and i think the regular line of alvarez tend to follow that lead, that is, if they are set up properly.
                            '66 Fender Bassman
                            Fender Champion 600
                            Fender Stage 100

Comment

At Guitar Center, I played a Martin (something or other) 35 that sounded good. It was on sale for around 2000. It had a little bit of chiminess, but also had a strong midrange and a pretty good bass. The first one I've tried that I like. I played a couple other high end ones that were pretty good, but still not the sound I like.

The Taylors I was playing were all great. Especially a 12 string one they had on sale for 1200. Top notch stuff IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X