Problem installing new volume pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing new volume pot

I was working on my Telecaster (that I posted about previously and you guys helped me on), and I removed the 250k vol pot.
    However, when I put on the new 500k pot, and screwed on the chrome knob (on the outside), it didn't turn straight. It sticks out farther than the tone knob, and turns all lop-sidded The rod (part you screw onto) is longer than the 250k pot, and tone pot. How can I fix this problem?
    In other words, the 500k pot is longer than the 250, and causing the knob to stick out and not turn evenly. Thanks so much Dudes,

-Greg

UPDATE:

I solved the height problem by adding another nut under the control plate.
    The only issue now is with the knob not turning straight.
    I tried lining up the screw so atht it fits into the split in teh shaft of the pot, but it it still turns all lopsided.
    Is the 500k pot really necessary? How did you guys fix this problem. Some of you must have put a 500k volume pot in a tele before, right?

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeDay
      UPDATE:

I solved the height problem by adding another nut under the control plate.
      The only issue now is with the knob not turning straight.
      I tried lining up the screw so atht it fits into the split in teh shaft of the pot, but it it still turns all lopsided.
      Is the 500k pot really necessary? How did you guys fix this problem. Some of you must have put a 500k volume pot in a tele before, right?
      Sounds like you use a split shaft pot and not the solid shaft and the knob wobbles because it's not mounted straight on the split shaft? Use the solid shaft pot,though I doubt you'll find one in 500k? Also...Are the original knobs the type that have a screw to tighten or are they the splined push on style like a strat?

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yeah, the 500k pot has a split shaft. The knobs on Telecasters also use screws to tighten.
        So what I did was try to line up the screw (in the knob) with the split in the shaft, but it still wobbles. Damn.
        Shoudl I just put the original 250k pot back on? That wobbling is annoying because it causes the knob to hit the control plate when turned.

Comment

Yeah, the 500k pot has a split shaft. The knobs on Telecasters also use screws to tighten.
          So what I did was try to line up the screw (in the knob) with the split in the shaft, but it still wobbles. Damn.
          Shoudl I just put the original 250k pot back on? That wobbling is annoying because it causes the knob to hit the control plate when turned.
          Try to put something within the split part of the shaft to make the shaft more solid...guitarpartsresource.com sells bushing that slide over the split shafts so you can screw your solid shaft knob onto it..I bought a pack last night for myself...Click on the link below.

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            Try to put something within the split part of the shaft to make the shaft more solid...guitarpartsresource.com sells bushing that slide over the split shafts so you can screw your solid shaft knob onto it..I bought a pack last night for myself...Click on the link below.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/3BRASS.jpg
            Here's the actual website link...I've learned to love this place because of all the lefty stuff they offer in the Fender line...A godsend to us lefties!

John

Comment

Thanks, John!

Comment

On that site in the "electrical switches and wiring" section, there is a 500k SOLID shaft pot listed. But when you click on the picture it still shows the PLIT shaft pic.

Argh...

Comment

On that site in the "electrical switches and wiring" section, there is a 500k SOLID shaft pot listed. But when you click on the picture it still shows the PLIT shaft pic.

Argh...
                  Call them or e mail them on Monday...Last night I Ordered some stuff from them via the internet...They have alot to offer,but as I said,it's the cool lefty stuff they sell that really works for me..

John

Comment

Working...
                  X