whoa! Great Strat wiring idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoa! Great Strat wiring idea!

If you're anything like me, I change pickups out, somewhat regularly. I still cant seem to find what I'm looking for. When I take my pickguard off, I'm always afraid of breaking the output wires or string ground, so I went to Radio Shack, and bought 3 male/female 1/4" jacks. Now, I can disconnect my pickguard every time I change pickups without soldering. I was thinking of doing it ot the pickups too, but it seems like too much of a hassle. The best thing is, I cant hear a difference. I have a felling that it might sound better or work better with the little male/female audio/visual kinda plugs on a TV or stereo.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: whoa! Great Strat wiring idea!

cool idea!
    smart too

Comment

awesome idea. I was thinking of doing that too. But I have shielding in the guitar, so theres no need for a ground wire. I made the hot wire very long so i can just take out the pickguard and lay it beside the guitar when i'm working on it. I still unsolder it most of the time.
      my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
      A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Haha, this is the future. Pop out the old pickups, disconnect, and plug the new ones in. 30 second pickup change!
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Zero, thats exactly what I was going for.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
            Zero, thats exactly what I was going for.
            Heya bro,

Could you describe in a little more detail what you're doing? Are you using RCA type plugs?

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Yeah man, just some RCA type plugs, and using them to connect my wires.

Comment

Sounds like a cool Idea, BUT will It pass the florecent light test
                If you happen to be pluged in on the same circuit with them lights.
                ( and every dive bar has Em' over their pool table) Any short coming
                in your wiring will be revealed I was playing one night and the
                selector switch in my strat whent bad .HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
                My bass player turned the light off over the pool table...Problem solved !!
                But then every time some A-holes wanted to shoot a game instead of
                listening to a great band (yeah right ) HMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!
                http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

It passed the test with flying colors (if you strat is sheilded like that on the guitar nuts website).

Comment

I thought about this too, but I don't own a strat so I didn't get to test it out. When I was younger Radio Control cars were my hobby, a lot of electronics and wiring goes along with that too. I was thinking about bullet plugs for this, because they are small, and have relatively good connectivity. But there are companies that make quick-connect plugs for R/C cars to go between the motor and speed control that are very solid, and lose very little signal, almost equal to a length of wire itself. I've been wanting to try that out, but Never got around to it. I like the idea of having a pickguard set up with Duncans, then another With EMG's, and be able to swap them just by loosening the strings and changing the pickguard.

Comment

Musis Man has been doing this for years with Molex connectors- they look like power connectors on a computer. They used to sell different pickguards wired up with different pickup arrangements. They don't do this anymore, but they keep the connectors inside still to this day. I have wired up 2 pickguards (HSS & HH) and switch once in awhile. It takes just a few minutes.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                        I have a felling that it might sound better or work better with the little male/female audio/visual kinda plugs on a TV or stereo.
                        They are called RCA jacks ... Or as a friend of mine jokingly referred to them as RCA ... Real Crude Attachments ...
                        I've thought about the pup idea too, as most switches would accept quick connectors, but I never really found a size that I liked that worked well with the pup conductor's wire gauge ... Nothing like being able to rewire a rotary switch or something without redoing 42 solder points ...
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

i did this a while ago, it works, but i dont switch pups that often, i usually wire something and use it for a while, so it wasnt really practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                            They are called RCA jacks ... Or as a friend of mine jokingly referred to them as RCA ... Real Crude Attachments ...
                            I've thought about the pup idea too, as most switches would accept quick connectors, but I never really found a size that I liked that worked well with the pup conductor's wire gauge ... Nothing like being able to rewire a rotary switch or something without redoing 42 solder points ...
                            oh ya, kent, try to find some of the little non soldering stereo wire clamps(on the back of a stereo, the red and black little buttons/clamps that you stick the bare wire into to attach them) i've been thing about doing this lately so i wouldnt have to attach connectors onto every pup.. much easier

edit: BETTER YET! aliigator clips!
                            Last edited by HolyDirt; 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                              oh ya, kent, try to find some of the little non soldering stereo wire clamps(on the back of a stereo, the red and black little buttons/clamps that you stick the bare wire into to attach them) i've been thing about doing this lately so i wouldnt have to attach connectors onto every pup.. much easier

edit: BETTER YET! aliigator clips!
                              Nah, alligator clips are notorious for coming undone when wires move around a bit ... I'd steer clear of those myself. The bullet and receptacle connectors, plus the female spade type connectors would seem a go way to go though. The molex connectors, well, I'm not pulling up a mental picture of those, so I couldn't say. But four conductor pups with a five pin locking (including drain wire) male/female jacks would be ideal for swapping out pups ... could even wire it so single could be used with the same connectors (swimming pool route strat with various cosmetic/functional mounting rings).
                              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                              X