Got my JCM 800 Modded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my JCM 800 Modded

I asked some questions about doing the mod a few weeks ago. I took it to a tech. My 800 now sounds 100% 80's metal. I did a Torres dual stage master mod. I now have the thickness and gain of the amp wide open at lower volumes. I can turn the gain on 2 and master on 6 and get great tone. It still rolls of with my guitar volume.
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Re: Got my JCM 800 Modded

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon
    I asked some questions about doing the mod a few weeks ago. I took it to a tech. My 800 now sounds 100% 80's metal. I did a Torres dual stage master mod. I now have the thickness and gain of the amp wide open at lower volumes. I can turn the gain on 2 and master on 6 and get great tone. It still rolls of with my guitar volume.
    Very cool buddy...Man I Miss my JCM 800 50 watter!
    Enjoy your amp and make some great music with it.

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Sound clips in the future? I'm considering having my 800 "beefed up", but I like the sound of it in it's stock condition. I'm kinda on the fence. Any links to the mods you spoke of?

Comment

I was about to buy either a plexi or a jcm800 and get that done straight away, i still plan to in the future.

Sounds like you're wrapped with the tone! Congrats
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

I have an '85 50W JCM800 that I had some minor mods done to by Harry Kolbe, here in NYC. It sounds amazing. I'm having a new input jack put in it; as soon as I get it back, I'll post some clips for everyone.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

As for a link. JUst go to www.torresengineering.com It is called a dual stage master. I had a tech to it so I cost me a bit. But the most is only $29. I will post some clips soon. But I have the guitars and pickups listed so I get way different tone with each guitar. The JB for pure 80's Motley Scops, etc. The A2 pro for guns and Demon or '59 for Ac/DC. I am finally happy for a while.
            Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
            Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
            Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
            Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
            Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
            1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Some of my favorite Marshalls are modded ones.
              I like the subtle ones, done by great techs, like master volumes,
              well done gain mods, and anything that improves the tone at useable volumes, without leaving holes or butchering circuits.
              I think Marshall's biggest mistake was ignoring those mods and scoffing at them. They coulda learned a thing or two, if they
              hired some of the better techs as consultants.
              I sometimes wonder what a new Marshall would sound like,
              if they had hired someone like Torres, Don Butler, or Reinholdt Bogner to redesign the preamp section of a new Marshall. Oh well, those guys are making a good living modding or starting boutique companies that steal business from Marshall.
              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-21-2004, 05:01 PM.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
              X