Finally played a Mesa Nomad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonicexplorer
    Hey StefanM. My DC-5 is a combo, so this is not a fair comparison to the nomad head. The DC has really good cleans and has a little more aggressive tone then the nomad. Kinda faster responsive punch than the nomad. It's easier to get good sounds out of the DC. The graphic eq works great as a solo boost on both amps. The DC has 2 channels and the eq can be accessed by the footswith. The nomad has three channels, plus access to solo boost, eq, and reverb from the footswitch. I've giged with either amp and had no problems. I play Journey, Boston, Metallica and they both get the job done.
    Thanks sonic explorer. I know all about the DC's features, seeings as I own one, in my sig Is your comparison a DC-5 vs a nomad 55? (ie same output tubes)? I guess so, given that you describe the eq on each, and the Nomad 45 doesn't have an eq.
    Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

BTW is the F50 more like the DC than the nomand? Never seen one, but it seems they've returned to a more-DC format at least

Comment

Originally posted by StefanM
        BTW is the F50 more like the DC than the nomand? Never seen one, but it seems they've returned to a more-DC format at least
        Yes, they have gone back to the DC and studio and some say back even to their original amps. Check out the following site:

Normans Guitars

Comment

Yes, I was checking out that link before - I should have been more specific (I've never seen one/heard one in real life)

Comment

Originally posted by StefanM
            Yes, I was checking out that link before - I should have been more specific (I've never seen one/heard one in real life)
            Stefan,

The F50 is really very good to play and incredibly simple to set up. I was very seriously tempted to buy one when I was in the market for a Boogie. The clean channel is awesome and lovely and chimy. So why did I buy the Nomad instead. Well firstly I could not get hold of an F50 about 4/5 months ago - yes incredible to believe. I tried out the F30 and that was really nice to play but I felt missed that little something which the F50 had. I had tried out the F50's when they first came into the UK and was very impressed with them, but thought I would wait a liitle while and see how things would shape up. I use Fender amps mostly - Blues Juniors, Junior and Blues De Villes. However I got my Nomad at a very good price and could not pass it up.

Have a look at the guitarists review to see what they think of it:

Norman
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Thanks for the link - great review. They've addressed the 2 main shortcomings of the DCs - the hiss, and the unusability (IMO) of the lead channel below 6. I only use the EQ on the lead chanel in the V shape anyway. The F50 sounds like a great amp!

Comment

The reliablility issues I've heard have been mostly from overheating, but those complaints have been few and far apart.

Comment

Working...
                X