WHOA! Major GASing... Parker Nitefly SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHOA! Major GASing... Parker Nitefly SA

I don't know what caused me to give it a look, but I noticed Parker had a really nice looking H-S-S styled guitar. I don't have an acoustic so the piezo option looks pretty appealing. If the pickups suck I'm probably gonna switch them out for Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots and a Joe Barden Two Tone.

From what I've gathered from reviews, they can run the gamut from strats to les pauls to a decent acoustic. For my desire for a "one guitar that can do it all" this appears to be the closest. The looks are even growing on me now.

The one neck I played on a model a long time ago was pretty thin so it was a turn off, this model supposedly has a beefier neck and wider frets, something that looks more to my preference. The price is definitely right with this (I can buy this used without having to sell my Gibson Les Paul Standard - something I was going back and forth about).

Anybody have any opinions on this guitar or any experience with them?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: WHOA! Major GASing... Parker Nitefly SA

ive never played one but it does look pretty cool.
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Parkers are great... loved every one I've played. If they still made a MIDI'd one, I'd own it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SO LIGHT!!

I picked one up at a shop once, almost threw it over my head 'cuz i was used to my Warlock's heavy self.

-X
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Here's Penelope. She's one of the original Nitefly's (notice the 3 s/c pups--passive circuitry).
          Neck is smooth as butter. This is one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played. Even more so than my Bro-in-law's Fly Deluxe (although I like the body style and one-piece design of it).

Penelope adapts to whatever I want--especially when combined with my POD.

In all honesty, it doesn't have as much of its own 'character' as a LP or a strat (although mine has alot of similarities to the latter). BUT, as I said before, she is very versatile and adapts to just about anything.

I use Penelope as a worship instrument. The ultimate, because of her ability to switch rapidly between electric and acoustic and combined sounds. Nothing like strumming a cool acoustic riff, then switching for a lead break, then back.

My only complaint is that I do not like the location of the piezo switch. It is far too easy to inadvertantly change the acoustic volume while flipping the switch. Of course, this is a really MINOR complaint. I love my PARKER.

As far as the pups go, the stock Dimarzio designed pups are good--no complaints here. However, I still want to test drive the new Fly Mojo (w/ SD pups).

So, if you haven't already figured it out, my vote is: GO FOR IT!
          Last edited by LesStrat; 06-21-2004, 01:30 PM.
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Nice! Looks like I'm going to play the waiting game until the right one pops up on eBay for half a grand
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

I have a red Parker Nitefly SA with Dimarzio S/S/H. And it's a good guitar. The neck is nice and it has stainless steel frets, so they don't wear out nearly as fast. It's very light, but comfortable. People do complain about the horn jamming their ribs while sitting. I usually play standing so the horn isn't a problem.

I like the styling but it doesn't appeal to everyone. One thing I'm not crazy about is that it requires a nine volt battery. When the battery dies, no sound. I'm not sure how a weak battery affects tone. I know that I was going crazy trying to figure out why my favorite preset didn't sound right on my Valvetronix amp. I kept trying different cables and then I remembered that this guitar requires a battery. I changed it and the sound was way better but still not the same. I'd hate to fall in love with the low battery tone because that is just too much of a hassle.

However, mixing the piezo with the neck single coil produces some really cool tones. One friend said it sounded like a violin.

I like the guitar but would consider saving a few extra bones and getting a Parker Fly. That's their top of line guitars. They go for about $1,000 to $1,400 on ebay. I'll get one someday. Probably the Fly Mojo with the Duncans.
              GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
              KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Good advice... thanks

Comment

I really like the Parker Fly mojo. But I have to first settle my GAS for a Jackson before I start looking at anything else.
                  MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Comment

I've got a Parker Nitefly SA. It's my number one guitar since it's light, sounds great, looks awesome, and plays better than much of what else I've played.

Almost all of the other Niteflies I've played, first-issue (like mine) or otherwise have been just as good. They're all so neat and versatile!
                    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
                    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
                    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
                    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
                    Marshall G15CDR
                    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                    Marshall 1960A
                    Boss ME-50
                    ...and just a little talent.

Comment

never got into parkers much...but from the sounds of these reviews...i'm gonna have to play one!!!
                      Originally posted by jeremy
                      God hates bad guitar tone
                      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Working...
                      X