How to kill jagged fret ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill jagged fret ends?

I tried using a triangle file to round the edges, but it doesn't seem to be working too well.
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: How to kill jagged fret ends?

ive used sand paper before. it worked somewhat.
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

lets see, get you some 600 grit sandpaper, and run it along the edges of the frets, that will take away some of what seems to be "jagged". Hold the paper in your hand and act like you're going to wank around by just running your hand up and down the board, but do it on the side. Then, very carefully look for anything that could be sharp, and round it off with a file. It could be that your fret ends arnt beveled, but thats not likely.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Beandips advise is sound. You should be concerned on WHY your frets are getting sharp. Generally what causes this is your guitar is drying out. It needs moisture. I have seen necks get so warped from this condition that the fingerboards had to be removed to fix the problem. It would be a good idea to have a hydrometer in the area where your guitars are stored. You can buy one at Radio Shack for about $20.00. You should try to keep the humidity around 45 to 50%. If you can do this the frets will hardly move at all and your guitars will remain more stable and more playable year round.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
        X