X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curly
    replied
    Originally posted by Norman_T
    I play both strats and humbuggerd geetars. I use a tube screamer almost exclusively and sometimes my SD-1s.
    then you'll love it!

I have plenty of TS's - the OD9, the OD808, a TS5, TS7, and a nice original TS9, plus my SD-1 and DS-1 modded by Stratdeluxer, and a couple FullDrives. I like 'em all in their own way for their particular tone.

I'll give the nod to my TS9 tone wise as far as having more harmonic content, but the OD 820 is more fun to play - I'll stress again the fact that it feels more a part of the chain.
    Also, although I tend to find a sweet spot and leave it there, some players will appreciate the wider sweep of the gain.

Leave a comment:

• Norman_T
    replied
    Originally posted by Curly
    if you don't, I will

well, actually, I already did get a used one for backup, and yes, it was cheaper

if you're the type, like me, who is mainly a strat player or single coil player, and you use a Tubescreamer type pedal for your overdrive, this will excel at that type tone, without as much mid hump or nasal tone, and better feel.

If your a humbucker player, then it should do a nice clean boost at lower gain settings, although I haven't had a chance to try that yet... I'm basing that on my impression, and some of the other reviews.

there are more expensive pedals out there in the same vein, most of which I haven't tried, but this one is fine by me. The adapter included is a nice touch, too.
    Curly,

Thanks for getting back - I play both strats and humbuggerd geetars. I use a tube screamer almost exclusively and sometimes my SD-1s. Recently I bought the OD-9 pedal but because of circumstances have not given that a good going over - plan to do so within the next few days. I also have a big muff which gives that big fat sound but that's another story. I have put in a bid but have to wait and see!!

Norman

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    if you don't, I will

well, actually, I already did get a used one for backup, and yes, it was cheaper

if you're the type, like me, who is mainly a strat player or single coil player, and you use a Tubescreamer type pedal for your overdrive, this will excel at that type tone, without as much mid hump or nasal tone, and better feel.

If your a humbucker player, then it should do a nice clean boost at lower gain settings, although I haven't had a chance to try that yet... I'm basing that on my impression, and some of the other reviews.

there are more expensive pedals out there in the same vein, most of which I haven't tried, but this one is fine by me. The adapter included is a nice touch, too.

Leave a comment:

• Norman_T
    replied
    Curly,

It sounds as though you are sold on this big time - are you saying that if you can get it cheapish than you should go for it? I have seen it somewhere going for a lot less than $200 - should I take the plunge!!

Norman

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    as ar as I could tell, Ishibashi charges a bank deposit processing fee ($27 maybe?), on top of shipping

Leave a comment:

• mrid
    replied
    The Japan-voiced 820 (less gain) can be had for $164 plus shipping from Ishibashi.

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    Originally posted by mrid
    I've heard that the export Maxon's and domestic (Japan) Maxon's are voiced differently...True? Now, does this pedal internally double the voltage to 18v or does it require a seperate adapter? As far as I'm concerned, and 18v Tubescreamer = Klon.
    mrid,

from Maxon's site (quoted in my review).:

"One of the key ingredients to the OD-820's amazing sound lies in its power section. While the OD-820 accepts 9 volts coming in, it then uses a DC-DC voltage converter (#MAX1044) to bump this up to 18 volts. This higher voltage allows for a more accurate, full-frequency reproduction of the input signal than other units can provide. This higher voltage also allows for more balanced powering of the circuit, providing stabilized positive and negative DC voltage to the overdrive, blend, and tone sections of the circuit. Overdrive and Blend? That's right the other secret weapon of the OD-820 lies in it's blending of distorted and non-distorted signal to create its massive tone. The OD-820's Drive knob does double duty, controlling both the amount of gain and the balance between distorted and non-distorted signal. Note that we said non-distorted signal rather than dry signal this is because this signal is still processed through the tone section of the OD-820's circuit before reaching the output. So, at the lowest Drive settings only non-distorted signal is sent to the output, providing the OD-820's stunning clean boost tone. Like the OD808, the OD-820 distorts signal in the amplifier section of the circuit rather than having a separate clipping stage, which provides a smoother, more realistic tube-like overdrive than other methods. The higher voltage supplied to the amplifier section provides slightly more clipping than the OD808 or OD-9. The OD-820 uses only JRC4558 op amps for the warmest overdrive tone possible."

also, I'd like to emphasize again, that what I'm referring to by saying the pedal has a more "organic" feel, is that it feels noticeably looser, in the same way that a good tweed amp does - touch sensitivity and instant response to your fingertips.

Leave a comment:

• mrid
    replied
    I've heard that the export Maxon's and domestic (Japan) Maxon's are voiced differently...True? Now, does this pedal internally double the voltage to 18v or does it require a seperate adapter? As far as I'm concerned, and 18v Tubescreamer = Klon.

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    thanks, Steve ... you are correct, sir!

very nice balance. Although I haven't tried it with humbuckers, I'm sure it would be better than some other pedals, due to the tranparency. One of the other reviews, maybe the Legendary Tones, mentioned that, similar to the Klon, at lower settings, it does the clean boost well, but kicks into another gear at higher gain settings.

My settings were actually pretty clean. With the same guitar and more gain, I can easily approach smooth fuzz territory.

Next, I want to do some tele clips.

To be fair, I should really do some clips with my BF Bassman on about 5. That would be a more realistic test.
    Even so, I felt I got pretty darn good tone out of my B Jr!

At least, it was a lot of fun!

Peace

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nice. It sounds very warm but not fuzzy

I have heard some of the better rated SS distortion pedals that still have a harsh trebly sound and you can hear them just mush out on the lower notes.

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    thanks, John!

yeah, I still use my $2 computer mic, since it seems to be harder for me to get the right levels with my SM57.

I included the additional info partly for convenience, and to help explain that although the pedal is green, and says "Maxon", it really does have a different take on the OD tone. Although it adds warmth and fatness, it doesn't have the same mids and nasal quality of a Tubescreamer. Some don't care for that in Tubescreamers, although I do - it's just that this is a different pedal, as I said, I feel it's more organic and doesn't overshadow the guitar and amp, but becomes a more integrated part of the chain.

I realize that cost will be an issue for some, when they can run out and get another overdrive for $40, but I feel the 820 is a pro level tool, and in the end, quality wins. As I mentioned to Kevin at GODLYKE, I have mixed feelings about "spreading the word" - while I love this thing, and want to share my impressions, I also don't mind using something that not everyone else has.

It just feels great when I play it!!!

Peace
    Last edited by Curly; 03-21-2004, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied
    Originally posted by Curly
    thanks for your comments!

you've touched on a problem with this overdrive - it's not readily available, even at GC, where it's a special order item. Makes it hard to test one before plunking down $200. It's odd, because that's exactly what people do with the boutique pedals in a lot of cases. Maybe because this pedal is made by a big company, it's not thought of in the same way as a boutique pedal, and that's a shame.

also, I should point out that there's a bit of distortion in the clip - it's kind of obvious, but I need to mention that. Seems I haven't figured out how to record very well yet!
    Curly..Great review buddy...I read all of the info you posted on your website...I like the way that pedal has this midrange hump to it...I Know you tell me that you record with a cheap mic and all,but the pedal seems smooth and that it would cut right also..I also get the feeling that the recordings really don't tell the whole story about how good that pedal really sounds...Nothing can match the feel,the tone,and the vibe a guy gets while sitting at home playing through his own stuff...I also have a rough time trying to come up with something worth listening to! It sure isn't the same for me as it is playing with my whole band and having some adrenelin going and some excitement...Anyway...As always Curly,your reviews are always thorough and top notch,as are your clips...

John

Leave a comment:

• Curly
    replied
    thanks for your comments!

you've touched on a problem with this overdrive - it's not readily available, even at GC, where it's a special order item. Makes it hard to test one before plunking down $200. It's odd, because that's exactly what people do with the boutique pedals in a lot of cases. Maybe because this pedal is made by a big company, it's not thought of in the same way as a boutique pedal, and that's a shame.

also, I should point out that there's a bit of distortion in the clip - it's kind of obvious, but I need to mention that. Seems I haven't figured out how to record very well yet!
    Last edited by Curly; 03-21-2004, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rhmcfarland
    replied
    od820

Hi Curly,

Glad to see that you checked it out. There's a place in town that's carrying Maxon here, but they haven't gotten an 820 yet. Sounds really good! Thanks for the post!

Leave a comment:

• Vasshu the humanoid typhoon
    replied
    Wow sounds like Neil Young on Dead Man by Jamush....great warm tone curly and nice review.
    Always love your soothing tones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X