89' Strat or 99' Strat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89' Strat or 99' Strat...

They're both USA made standard strats,maple fingerboard,alder body,original stock American Standard Pickups...
    so which one do you prefer and what are the main differences between them like body,pickups,neck etc...???
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: 89' Strat or 99' Strat...

I think it's going to come down to which one you prefer. Which one feels and sounds the best. As far as I know, the pickups on a standard American series will be pretty much the same. It's the Deluxe models that offer Vintage Noiseless, SCN, or other options.

The only thing I could recommend to be on the lookout for is the infamous "swimming pool route" where they cut corners by routing one giant hole under the pickguard to accommodate all pickup configurations. Later models are routed either specifically SSS, HSS or HSH. The '89 may be routed this way. Whether or not that's a bad thing though is debatable. Some people swear they hear a difference in sustain, others prefer it and think of it as a soundhole. Dunno. Again, I really think it'll come down to which offers YOU the most mojo.

Comment

the 89 will surely be of the "swimming pool" variety.Anyway i have strats with and without the swimming pool....but i don't find the swimming pool influences the sound at all.

Comment

You have heard the expression "No two guitars sound the same" - well it's true of strats in fact if you went into a store and looked over all of their strats it is more than likely that not one of them will be the same in sound, feel, playability. At the end of the day you will just have to try both of them out and see which one talks to you and says "take me home daddy". Of course it may well be none of them so you might pass. My only comment is that the '99 strat may be better built than the '89 one as Fender have upped their act within the last 5 years, but what do I know and you might just go for the earlier one.

Good luck with whatever you choose
        Normans Guitars

Comment

thanks guys...I don't know about the 'swimming pool' but I think I'll stick with the 99' one...
          79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

On the '99, look out for the infamous poplar core with laminate alder tops and bottoms--you can see this on a 'burst body if the black color overextends on the contours to mask the laminates. This was practiced from about '92 to '98, but I saw this stuff floating around as recently as two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Joe
              On the '99, look out for the infamous poplar core with laminate alder tops and bottoms--you can see this on a 'burst body if the black color overextends on the contours to mask the laminates. This was practiced from about '92 to '98, but I saw this stuff floating around as recently as two years ago.
              is it a good or bad thing I don't really understand?...the strat is black colored with white pickguard so I can't tell really if it is poplar core or full alder but the tone is great just like a strat needs to be...

Comment

Originally posted by CsaRvoX
                is it a good or bad thing I don't really understand?...the strat is black colored with white pickguard so I can't tell really if it is poplar core or full alder but the tone is great just like a strat needs to be...
                Well, the body may not have the thin laminates since it's a solid color--it could be all solid poplar since it falls around that time period, but I wouldn't worry too much as there are good qualities of poplar. It could very well be alder...

As for the swimming pool routing, I've alway been skeptical-- I prefer individual routing for pickups, but that's me-- ask to look inside each guitar's cavity (under the pickguard) if that's possible.

Comment

Working...
                X