Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modeling amp suggestions?

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise
    Not familiar with Guitar Trader personally, but have seen their site before.

Good, Bad experience?
    I can't really get into it at the moment... sorry. =(

Comment

This thread stoked my curiousity; I went over to the local guitar center on the way home from work and picked up the Vox Tonelab in the interests of comparing it to my POD XT. From the viewpoint of a so-so guitar player with lots of POD and little tube-amp experience I can say the Tonelab is a great piece of hardware.

It only comes with half the amp models of the XT, and four of them are VOX (Vox is great but hey... =)), but depending on how well you like the XT's amp models that may or may not be a real issue. The Tonelab seems to cover all the staples - fender blackface and bassman, mesa (dual, triple?) rectifer, a marshall or two, and of course, two pairs of models for two vintage Vox amps. As you go through the 48 pre-programmed themes they all start to sound similar after a while - hard for me to imagine coming up with another 48 (space for 96 presets!) on my own that would be that unique, what with the smaller number of effects and cab models as well.

Ok, onto the sound! What can I say, this muther was _LOUD_! Every preset has the default volume set to what I would consider virtual '5' on master volume, which is a little bit of a pain when you're cycling through the presets - you lower the volume, go up one, and have to dial it down again.

The tone on a lot of the models is pretty killer, although surprisingly not much different from the XT. One thing that becomes evident is, on the POD, the model sounds the same no matter how much you turn it up. It seems like on the Tonelab you need it on 5 just to hear all the richness of the tone, just like a real tube amp, IMHO. The tone is more dynamic, in that you actually get a little of that real world push/pull sag thing going on (sorry tube guys, my tube speak is limited. =)) Apparently the single tube is a 2 switch in 1 tube tube so the one can emulate the push/pull of two regular tubes.

Anyway, the manual says that this thing actually has a 'dummy circuit' and a 'virtual transformer' model which can simulate the behavior of a real power transformer and a negative feedback circuit in the power amp. Hey whatever, sounds good to me. =)
      What I really like is how smooth the break-up is, especially on the mesa model - I think the XT's newest Mesa model is awesome, but compared to having the tube smoothing out the sound, it's like listening to an analog signal verses something sampled at a very high rate... it's just smoother... maybe that's just the Vox's interpretation, I dunno, because I've never played a real mesa dual rectifier, but the tube really does add a little life to the models, once you crank it up, which is funny because I never considered the XT to sound cold over headphones...

They can say what they want about the patented virtual transformer and whatever, but to me what makes this thing take is the tube - otherwise it's just similar modeling technology as the XT has.

My thoughts - if you needed to buy a modeler now, buy this one. If you already have a POD, I'd say the $460 is better spent buying an Atomic Reactor 'cause you'll get the tube and output transformer, etc. and a decent output system too. =) Or just save your money and buy a real tube amp. =) This thing's nice, but I'll be taking it back to GC in a few days...

Comment

I don't dispute the Tonelab sounds good. Many POD guys I know also own the Tonelab. Being that the Atomic will hold the POD or a Tonelab in it's mount, it's a win-win with it. Some guys have even replaced the tube in there with a better one.

I'll also add that I have heard the first models for the new PODxt upgrade at our recent user group mtg and they kicked some serious butt! There's a new post eq, new models and all cabs revoiced.
        Institute Of Noise Music Productions
        http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
        Bogner Amplification
        http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

That's interesting - I'd agree this thing would be worth keeping for some people - they don't totally overlap so I would like to have both. Since the choice is between buying the tonelab or buying an atomic for my POD, I'll choose the atomic. I'm wondering how the upgrade will sound, whether it'll be a jump up overall in tonal quality or will it be just a couple more good amp models.

I hear the upgrade reimplements all the cab and mike settings so in some way it'll be an overall improvement, but the question is how much...

Comment

The upgrade is very noticable. Everyone who heard it was extremely pleased to say the least.
            Institute Of Noise Music Productions
            http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
            Bogner Amplification
            http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

OK guys. I found a 60 watt head and a VC-4 fotswitch all in new condition. I am trying to get it all for 475 delivered. Think this is a good price? I am having a really tough time finding the 60/120 watt heads used and this seems like the best deal I have found so far. I'm in no hurry. Continue to look or bite the hook?
              Low wattage rocks!
              Bumbox Lead 1
              Orange Tiny Terror
              Vox 120VTH
              ----------------------
              Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
              Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

nevermind, the guy sold it for the full price and I wasnt going to. Oh well....
                Low wattage rocks!
                Bumbox Lead 1
                Orange Tiny Terror
                Vox 120VTH
                ----------------------
                Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

lol - it's either worth getting or it isn't - if you had to think about it, it probably wasn't what you really wanted...

Comment

Working...
                  X