Why do my recordings sound so poor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do my recordings sound so poor?

Yesterday I went out an got a shure sm-57. I've been recording stuff bassically all day, and while it doesn't sound bad, it certainly isn't as good quality as I would have expected to get from a $90 microphone... Could it perhaps be my soundcard is bad? I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 64V. I'm not sure I even want to post a sample, since I can't find a place to host .wav files, and I'm willing to bet that turning it to an mp3 would reduce the quality of the recording so much that no one would be able to tell what's due to poor mp3 encoding and what's due to the mic/soundcard being bad...

I could be the way your miking the amp. Test out a whole bunch of different positions. Faraway, close, ect... As for soncards, I don't know **** about computers, but if the soundcard can't handle a loud volume I think it creates a distorted soundin the recording. ( I Think this is right. Might be wrong.)

Comment

You're not using a mic preamp, are you?

Comment

No mic preamp, and I've tried alot of different positions. I've been doing alot of acoustic recording just cause my amp miced sounds so trebly, and the acoustic (with the mic approx. 3 inches from it) sounds rather dull...

Does anyone know a place that will host .wav files so I can share exactly what it sounds like?
        Last edited by wasteofo2; 03-21-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

converting wav to mp3 doesnt reall reduce sound quality noticably, its only in studios were they are using super high quality samples that mp3s would reduce quality...
          Marshall JVM 410C
          Mesa Boogie DC-3
          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Well then can anyone reccomend software to change wav to mp3? I'm using audacity, but I can't figure out how to get the mp3 converter thing to work...

Comment

i think if you download musicmatch jukebox that can do it, but thats the only free thing i know of...... http://www.musicmatch.com/

not too sure if it does it tho....
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

You need a mic preamp, seriously.

Comment

Why's that? Any reccomendations?

Comment

The same reason your guitar amp has a preamp section.

As for reccomendations, I'm a little lax in that area...from what I've heard the Presonus stuff isn't too bad for the money.

Comment

Definately need a mic pre. All boards have them built in but external mic preamps are generally better. Search microphone preamps at musicans friend to see whats available in your price range.

You won't believe the difference.
                      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                        i think if you download musicmatch jukebox that can do it, but thats the only free thing i know of...... http://www.musicmatch.com/

not too sure if it does it tho....
                        Music Match does have the file conversion feature on it. I use it all the time.
                        PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                        PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                        GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                        Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                        Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                        various pedals

Comment

Do I need to look for a certain type of preamp like I did with mics? Is there any difference between the preamp you'd use for a bass mic vs. a guitar mic etc.?

Comment

I've asked this question a few times myself - looks like I'll just have to break down and get a preamp.

I agree that MusicMatch is the simplest for those who don't care for any more learning curves with software. It's as simple as "file/ convert files", then chosing your input and output directories.

I also use CDEX, but it's a little more difficult to use.
                            "music heals"
                            facebook

Comment

I use a ART OPL tube preamp. You can get em' for under $100
                              It adds 20db of gain if you want,And warms up your signal a bit.
                              How are your levals going into the soundcard?? This maybe where
                              your problem is?? That's one of the most important things in Digital recording. You may need to adjust you soundcard properties, Or get a Compresser/limiter. The ART unit has some limiting But I still use a Alesis Nano Compresser.
                              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                              X