Les Paul Studios Any Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Studios Any Good?

I have an Epi Les Paul with a pair of 59s in it and I really like it. I'd Like to move up to the real thing but duobt I'll ever be able to aford it.
    Is a L.P. studio just as good sound and playability wise?
    Not too worried about the decorations.
    MMM... BURGER

Re: Les Paul Studios Any Good?

Les Paul studio is a perfectly good guitar, overpriced but mediocre at best.

I owned one, sold it. I just bought an ESP EC-1000 with Duncans for $699. I've never been so impressed with a guitar. Here's what you get:

1. Lighter body and killer finish, with fancy abalone inlays and binding all the way around.
    2. Sperzel locking tuners (not plastic garbage like gibson)
    3. Earvana nut (this does make a huge difference, intonation all over the fretboard is dead on and you can hear the difference)
    4. Tonepros bridge (no more tailpieces and saddles falling off at string changes, and accidentally messing up intonation and string height, they are locked down and increases sustain)
    5. Seymour Duncan JB bridge and 59 neck.
    6. The first guitar I've ever bought that came with good strings (GHS) and a perfect setup right out of the box. Only thing I had to adjust was the intonation a little.

The EC-1000 is a Les Paul style guitar in case you didn't know. I love mine.

Comment

thanks as long as it sounds like a lp ill check it out
      MMM... BURGER

Comment

i played both studio and standard models in the store and i found the les paul standard to be more comfortable in terms of the enck becasue of binding. But in terms of sound i didnt see a differnce and im sure the studio will be a very good axe to own. I would get it if you cant affrod a calssic or a standard, stick some duncans in there and your set!
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by john5959
          thanks as long as it sounds like a lp ill check it out
          Don't be fooled buddy... I've had this Ec-1000 for over a year now... It's indeed a steal when you consider the quality of the guitar... But I will say this: you won't be getting a lP sound out of this LTD, as good as it may be... If you want a LP sound, buy a les paul... The ltd is a really nice sounding guitar and it does have the sound of a mahogany guitar, has the lP shape and all but it isn'T a LP... It wasn't built as a LP sounding guitar altho it looks like one... The only way you're gonna get a LP sound is with a gibson (or other copies like Heritage...)... The eclipse is its own thing. A hell of a guitar but won't get you 100% that LP tone... you deceide, good luck!

Comment

I'd have to second what Surgeon has said, if you want an LP then save up for the real thing and go for that. The LP Studio's are very good guitars for the money and will give you a more darker sound even thought they have a thinner top then the standards. I think you get them for the $500 -$600 used (maybe less?) but you might need to change the pups and just get a good set up done. Depends on your taste and what you want from the guitar.

But - you already have an EPI LP and got it the way you want it to sound, I think personally you will not find much of an upgrade to a Studio other than the name on the headstock. I would save up for the real thing and get an LP Standard instead. Have a look around on e-bay and see what is in your area because I am sure you will be able to pick up one probably within the $1000 range or even less.

I would recommend other guitars but if you are interested in the name Gibson then go for that. But also consider Tokai (MI Japan), Burny, Greco, Orville, Heritages, Hamers who all do very good singlecut guitars.
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Well mine was has always been questionable. I'm playing the "get it fixed up right before you sell it" game right now, it's getting it's electronics cleaned up.

It's a lp. It's heavy. I felt like my arm was going to fall off carrying it to the shop today. I want an SG. Been gassing for one ever since I was in Vegas a little while ago.
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I have a wine red Studio that I got new in a trade a few months ago. It has the LP tone, and I like the LP Std meets LP Jr vibe. I just had it set up with .011's and an LP Jr wrap at the tail piece, lowered the stock pickups a bit -- it's good to go. Just make sure you like the fat 50's neck profile. I don't miss the little bit of thickness and extra weight of a Std. I'm mainly a Tele guy, so YMMV, but I'm satisfied with my LP Studio.

Comment

gibson lp studio plus desert burst.. a beautiful... i mean a BEAUTIFUL guitar... plays beautifully too. i liked it over a les paul classic... hmmmm? haha but really... it's definitely worth the money.
                  Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus Desert Burst
                  Ibanez RG770DX
                  Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
                  Long live ROCK.

Comment

I like studio les pauls but they are overpriced and some sound far better or far worse than others. If you can find one used for cheep, go for it. Personally I would change the pickups and take off the finish and apply a thinner one in its place.

Comment

If I buy a Gibson LP, I will go for Standard(or better) who is the real thing in my opinion. I will never get money for a standard

Studio is a good guitar I guess..
                      But stay away from that Gibson special faded ****.

Comment

The faded double cutaway with P90s is pretty good. I like the sound, I love the feel of the neck. But $1000 Canadian is unreasonable.

Comment

It's the one you love who hurts your wallet the most. My black studio is one of these and there's no need to go any further if it's the right one.
                          I tried all the other lps in the district, mine is beaten and scratched and "only" a studio, but it was easily the best of the bunch and left the three other standards for dead in terms of finish AND tone, even with the horrible T series pickups. Don't even hesitate if this happens to you.
                          If you have lotsa Gibsons to try, try them and take the one you love, not the one with the best resale value (and yes, thicker and rounder is better, more comfortable and less tiring if you play real length gigs, but choose as you want and let noone gainsay you.)
                          Oh, yeah, and fitting Duncans is the other thing that makes all the financial pain worthwhile - trust me, I'm a doctor.

Comment

i don't really like studios, they feel kinda...short and fat, and theres better cheaper guitars out there. If you like 59's, my guitar (fender telecaster hh blackout) has 59s in the bridge & pearly gates in the neck, gates will give you a prettier clean. Schecter 006 blackjacks also have 59's in them, at the neck, and JB's at the bridge. I'd take both over the les paul studio anyday
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                            X