12ax7 tubes for a v-twin pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12ax7 tubes for a v-twin pedal

I'm looking to replace the stock tubes I have in it, for they are rather old and getting really weak. I browsed around and found this site http://www.torresengineering.com/ but my lack of knowledge on this topic whatsoever has kind of left me empty. Can someone help me out with what I should look for for sounds? Thanks.

Re: 12ax7 tubes for a v-twin pedal

Stay far away from Torres! Personally, I'd go on Ebay and look up "Shuguang 12AX7" and get some 9th generation Shuguang 12AX7's for $5 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
      Stay far away from Torres! Personally, I'd go on Ebay and look up "Shuguang 12AX7" and get some 9th generation Shuguang 12AX7's for $5 a piece.
      Ditto. I think those are the same one's as the $14 a piece GT 12AX7c's.
      Don't worry about the fact they're Chinese...they're good, and will make that OD pedal sound it's best. You could also try out the Sovtek 12AX7LPS
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I found this...

So if I bought 2, they would just replace the 2 stock ones I have in there now, and work fine? Heh, I'll need help on the installation too.

Comment

bump...hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualFitzy
            I found this...

So if I bought 2, they would just replace the 2 stock ones I have in there now, and work fine? Heh, I'll need help on the installation too.
            Right. Installation is very easy. You just remove the protective cage and pull out the old tubes.

Comment

Boog of course suggests their tubes, also the JJ Teslas come highly recomended, a great all around 12AX7A is the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7A, followed by the Sovtec 12AX7As, also the Yugo *Nationals*are good if you can find them.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

the sovteks are great on my v-1 bottle rocket. i was about to sell the pedal coz it sounde bad (muddy& weak), i just gambled to change the tubes and ithe pedal came alive!
                2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

I Use a GT 12AX7R in the Clean channel and a JJ ECC83 S in the Gain Channel
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

For removing the tubes, do I just pull?

Comment

Pull in a gentle circular motion. When installing the new one's, make sure all the pins are straight and slide easily into the socket. Never force a tube into a socket....you'll either bend pins or damage the little connectors inside the socket. It's easy, as long as you do it carefully.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Good info
                        Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

im using a nos ge 12ax7 for the clean and a jj ecc83 in the dirty, its a nice combo. the ecc83 has more output so when i switch back and forth between the clean and solo the volumes match up better

Comment

Working...
                          X