I just made a new guitar head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just made a new guitar head

I took the chassis out of my Squier Champ 15b (from the early 80's) to see if I could fix the speaker output and ended hard wiring a 1/4" plug into it. I just made a head... it rocks. The reason I tried to fix the amp (I know you're thinking, "it's a squier,") is becuase it was an amazing sounding amp before it died (for guitar, at least, as a bass amp, it was lack-luster) I mean... it was pretty good sounding, I loved the thing. It had real sparkly hi's, thick mid's and a tight bottom. So, now I have a head with no cabinet or speaker cabinet. It's 15Wrms @ 8ohms, it get's pretty loud, though. Unfortunately, the speaker out only works "in theory," seeing as how ALL my amps are not at home except this one. I tested it with a multi-meter, it had signal....

So, anyway... I have three questions...
    1. how will this thing drive a 2x10 or 2x12? Will the tone decrease? How loud will it be able to get?
    2. the headphone output is essentially a line out, correct, so I can run that to a mixing board?
    3. how should I go about making a cabinet for the head to be housed in? (keep in mind, I want to keep all the original components intact, so if I ever sell it, I can sell it as original, but with slight improvements, so, no original cabinet chopping)
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: I just made a new guitar head

I have no idea what you can do with it, but I just got an Avatar cab for my birthday and I plan to run my Squier 15-watt practice amp into it by running a speaker/instrument cable from the ext. speaker jack to the back of the cab. It should work and what you're doing should work, too.
    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
    Peavey Valve King 1x12
    Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Working...
    X