Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Telecaster Tone Pot Values

Hi-

In some Telecaster schematics, I have seen 1MEG listed for the volume pot, and 250K for the tone pot. However, in this guitar, it's the opposite - 1MEG for tone, 250K for volume.

1) Why would someone do this? I understand the desire for the 1MEG on the tone, but not the desire for decreasing the volume pot.

2) Does anyone know why the Telecaster schematic over the years changed from using the 250K to using the 1MEG and (I think) back again?

3) Will switching the pots so that the 1MEG is back on the volume control actually give me noticeably more volume from the guitar? I know that I need to think logarithmically here, but I don't have a good feel for whether quadrupling the resistance will affect much. I'm not worried about losing highs, because I always end up rolling the tone knob down about 25%.

My theory, could be wrong, is that they wanted the 1MEG on the tone so they could get a brighter sound, and to save parts (or avoid misplacing a someday-to-be-vintage component), they just swapped the pots, instead of replacing the tone pot.

However, this telecaster has been modified to include a small toggle switch for out-of-phsae operation when both pickups are on. It wasn't clear to me if maybe they thought that the change in pot values would be useful when using that out-of-phase position. Seems unlikely...

Thanks.
    Check out the website for my band, Wilgus

Remember... If you're not angry, you're not paying attention!!

Re: 1978 Telecaster Tone Pot Values

Why? You'd really have to ask Fender on that. they have also used 1Megs on both pots. Couldn't tell you why as to their reasons though, maybe it had something to do with the bridge material being changed, as the ferrous bridges (early) influenced the tone (brighter). Will a 1Meg give you *noticeably more volume* ... No, but it will be a brighter overall due to it not damping the pup(s)' resonant peak(s) as much as a 250k.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Re: 1978 Telecaster Tone Pot Values

A side note, the Tele's I hated were those with the 1Meg volume pot with a 1,000pF cap across the CW and wiper lugs ... under gain the thing wouldn't even act like a volume knob (well much ) ... you could turn the tone contrl down, but then when you turned up the volume, you had to turn up the tone.
      Way to thin when turned down, without rolling the tone back some (IMHO).
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
      X