Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut? Light or heavy?

Anyone have any experience with walnut?

What are the sonic characteristics of it? What other wood might you campare it to?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: Walnut? Light or heavy?

I find walnut somewhat harsh/brittle. I had a Gibson Firebrand SG years ago with an ebony fretboard (that rather rubbery sort of ebony)-- very stiff sounding, little resonance; no matter what pickup I placed in it, the wood would essentially dictate the overall character of the output emphasing only the harsh tones of the pickup. Useless in the studio. Good sustain, though. The Gibson V II made between '79-'82 had the same problems in my opinion-- laminated maple and walnut--less sustain due to the design.

Darker than maple, but not as warm.

Now, in a bass guitar, walnut is nice in conjunction with maple! Different expectations in regard to tone I suppose-- emphasis on a clean sustain.

Just my take...
    Last edited by Boston Joe; 06-25-2004, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Black walnut is a good alternative to mahogany. It's very strong and stable and has a very warm tone to my ears. It's also a beautiful wood. I've played walnut dobros from a number of luthiers, including a fine example made by one of my friends from a tree he cut down himself that ROCKS! You'd see a lot more of it if it wasn't so rare and expensive. I'm just getting started on the planning stage of building a black walnut lapsteel for myself, if I ever get it finished I'll post the results.

Comment

I'm gassing for a walnut Rickenbacker now, that's why I asked. The description I read at Warmoth.com was that it was similar to Maple, but not as heavy or bright.

Good description?
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
          I'm gassing for a walnut Rickenbacker now, that's why I asked. The description I read at Warmoth.com was that it was similar to Maple, but not as heavy or bright.

Good description?
          Good description. Just not my taste for a solid body electric guitar. Some good acoustics have been made from walnut.

Comment

its heavier than mahogany, but not as heavy as maple, its a strong wood, and it has a very dark bass response. its used alot on Carvin basses.... the Claro walnut is the best kind, though...
            :firing: :soapbox: :rocket: :omg:
            Its the way things are, kill the ones w/ the ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X