Where do you buy your JJ's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you buy your JJ's?

I put revolutionguitar.com in my signature, since the owner, Todd, is a friend of mine. He's a very cool guy who bends over backward to run his business and support his family. Also, he makes sure his tubes are tested and matched, which actually dips into his low profit margin. He's the best and cheapest on the net. He ships quick too, and the tubes are always packed ridiculously well.

Since he carries Tesla JJ, Svetlana, EI, and Groove Tube, your selection isn't limited. He also carries Jensen speakers and Keeley modded Boss's.

My favorite tubes he sells are Svetlana =C= logo EL-34's, JJ E34L's, Svetlana 6L6's,
    JJ and EI 12AX7's, and the GT Chinese and Mullards. Put any of those tubes in your amp, and it WILL sound better than whatever came stock in your amp.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      My favorite tubes he sells are Svetlana =C= logo EL-34's, JJ E34L's, Svetlana 6L6's,
      JJ and EI 12AX7's, and the GT Chinese and Mullards. Put any of those tubes in your amp, and it WILL sound better than whatever came stock in your amp.
      If I'm not mistaken Boogie's come stock with Sovteks. Is that right>?

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
        What tubes did he recommend for your phase inverter spot? or what "special" with it?

Duke
        What I meant was a 'balanced' tube was marked clearly for the phase inverter slot.

This eliminates any 'dead' spots.
        Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

If JJ's are what you're after definitely get them from Bob at www.eurotubes.com! Great person who knows his JJ's, and is great and helpful to deal with and has good prices.

I just ordered a big shipment which came out to me in Australia quickly and hassle free, and i've since installed them into both my amps they were for and they sound terrific

If its JJ's, talk to Bob.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
            I have never dealt with Revolution Guitar, can someone tell me whether they match AND grade their tubes?

If not, I would rather spend the extra $10 and have them graded for their intended use and performance.

If they simply take a pile of tubes and find some that match the first one , you wind up with 2 or 4 tubes that work well together for sure, but what are they gonna sound like? Are they going to "mush" out at high volume, be way too clean to ever break up,etc ?

I looked on the Revolution site and did not see anything about if they graded them or how they went about the grading process.

Somebody enlighten me..........
            Put simply, Todd gives you great tubes. I don't know what they're graded, but I do know he matches tubes. He's a very friendly and reputable guy.

See, the thing I don't like about Bob is that ALL HE SELLS IS JJ'S. So guess what tubes he's gonna be putting in your amp? JJs are great for some things, but they aren't the best tubes on the planet. You can trick yourself into thinking that graded tubes from Bob is going to sound better than a different/better brand that isn't graded. If you like all JJs, he's the man to go to, but there are different and better tubes out there.

If you buy from a reputable dealer, you won't get a bad GT 12AX7M tube (no matter how much of a rejection rate there is). I bought mine from Torres Engineering even though I really wanted to get it from Todd, but he was already backordered for a while. Gearjoneser summed it up in previous threads, "it's a Mullard without the price; same great tone and construction". The Mullard in my Triamp is killer. Having JJs in it made it smooth, but killed the gain in it (which really made the amp suck). The Mullard in the V1 position gave me much more gain, kick, crunch and articulation to counterbalance the JJs. It rocks now, but there was a period where I wasn't happy with the results.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
              If I'm not mistaken Boogie's come stock with Sovteks. Is that right>?
              I think most of the Boogie Labeled tubes are Sovtek 6L6 WXT, unless I'm mistaken. Not bad, but not the best. Mid line IMO.

If I had a Mesa amp used for high gain, I'd get Svetlana Winged =C= logo 6L6's and GT 12AX7C's (Chinese, but killer) If Dual Recs came with that combo, they'd sound better out of the box IMO.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                I think most of the Boogie Labeled tubes are Sovtek 6L6 WXT, unless I'm mistaken. Not bad, but not the best. Mid line IMO.

If I had a Mesa amp used for high gain, I'd get Svetlana Winged =C= logo 6L6's and GT 12AX7C's (Chinese, but killer) If Dual Recs came with that combo, they'd sound better out of the box IMO.
                I'll definetely put that combo in consideration. So do you feel any need to match the tube brands? There's nothing wrong with mixing them for new blends?

Comment

Working...
                X