Tube Life??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Life??

I'm simply wondering how long typical PA and PO tubes will last (with still superior dynamics and tone). The only reference I've seen on this is on the MESA/Boogie page, which, I believe, stated the following...

Pre-amp ... 2-3 years
    Power ... 1-2 years

Is this anywhere close? I want a heads up because I'm aware that the tubes will slowly start to deterriorate in quality over time, something that my ears could grow accustomed to, therefore never knowing when it's time to replace. Thanks a bundle in advance.

BTW - This is all assuming a 3-5 day practice routine playing at high volumes for 3-5 hours a day.

Jon

Re: Tube Life??

Originally posted by Guitarist
    I'm simply wondering how long typical PA and PO tubes will last (with still superior dynamics and tone). The only reference I've seen on this is on the MESA/Boogie page, which, I believe, stated the following...

Pre-amp ... 2-3 years
    Power ... 1-2 years

Is this anywhere close? I want a heads up because I'm aware that the tubes will slowly start to deterriorate in quality over time, something that my ears could grow accustomed to, therefore never knowing when it's time to replace. Thanks a bundle in advance.

BTW - This is all assuming a 3-5 day practice routine playing at high volumes for 3-5 hours a day.

Jon
    Well, with heavy use, pre-amps can last for quite some time--I find some old ones sound great. But the power tubes with heavy gigging use could last you 6 months to a year before they start to lose their punch. You could get a few good years out of them in your bedroom-- but on the road or recording, you may want to at least change them once a year as you'll become accustomed to the power lose.

Comment

Working...
    X