Epiphones & Gibsons Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphones & Gibsons Question

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the fret wire between Epiphones & Gibsons as far as the material they are made from? Do the frets last as long in Epiphones or do they wear down quicker ? I guess it would take someone who has owned an Epiphone for a number of years to answer that last question.

Re: Epiphones & Gibsons Question

It seems to me that alot of the lower end stuff (including Epiphone) have soft or 12% compisition nickel silver fretwire. I'm not sure why, buy my guess is that because of its smaller compisition rates, its cheaper to make. I had a J. Reynolds (Agile, SX, whatever) Strat knockoff and it took me about 6 months to pit the frets really well. The Epi's I see at my local shop are starting to show signs of fretwear, while the Gibsons dont. I'm not sure if it's because most people play Epi's than Gibsons or what. Sometimes, but not always, you can look at the fret, and polish it just a tad, if it turns into a mirror finish, its 17% hard, but if it get's shiney but still isnt totally reflective, its 12% soft.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Re: Epiphones & Gibsons Question

i'm using my epi sg for 7 years now and the frets are still ok. it shows that the frets are worn out a bit but no need for a refretting job yet

Comment

Working...
      X