Keeping A regular strat in tune when using tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping A regular strat in tune when using tremolo

I have a Strat and I want make more use out of my tremolo (which I never thought I would need since I never use it). The problem is that is a regular strat bridge which goes out of tune fairly easy. I don't want to abuse it like Steve Vai does, but use it more for vibrato for notes kind of like Jeff Beck. Also since my band and I do a lot of covers a few divebombs and things might be useful too. (Ain't Talkin Bout Love solo uses tremolo by Van Halen and Rush's Limelight you pretty much need those tremolo effects otherwise the solo just wouldn't work because it is one of them solos where it almost needs to be note for note) Is there any way that won't cost too much money , or is there a simple way to keep it in tune a little better?

Re: Keeping A regular strat in tune when using tremolo

Well, those fender bullet strings do work . . . but there's the thing about how they suck.

Good tremolos stay in tune fairly well as long as you're not slamming it, dont they? like the american vintage tremolos & stuff?
    Fender Classic 60's Strat
    Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
    DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
    Vox V848 wah
    Line 6 MM-4
    Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

It does stay in tune pretty well. It doesn't get out of tune that horribly, but it is noticable and annoying when you kno you are playing out of tune even if it is a little bit.

Comment

It's all in the setup on a trem bridge. Do you have the 2 pt American or the 6 hole vintage bridge?

First, the more springs you use, the more stable it will be. I use 3, but 4 is good as well. The AmStandard bridge should float about 1/8" off the face of the guitar. If you go to Mr. Gearhead at the Fender site, they have all the specs listed.

If you only downtrem and don't use the uptrem, I prefer the base of the bridge to rest agains't the body. Simply tighten the trem claw until the bridge rests against the body. Tighten it just enough so that when you do double stop bends and the like, the bridge doesn't lift off the body. It should still be just loose enough to allow you to divebomb and use tremolo effects with the bar, and return to pitch. I have my 6 hole vintage bridge set up this way and I have zero tuning issues.

Also, a good set of $50 locking Fender/Schaller tuners will make a huge difference too!
        My Sound Clips

Comment

make sure the strings are new, old strings dont stay in tune well with a tremelo
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I use 4 springs and I put a little graphite on the saddles.

here's a good quote from an article on SRV's setup

" Vaughan’s standard vintage tremolo uses all five springs. Rene prefers the durability of the stainless steel Fender tremolo bars. He puts a small wad of cotton at the bottom of the tremolo-block hole to keep the bar from over-tightening and becoming hard to remove if it breaks. He emphasizes the importance of lubricating all the moving parts of the tremolo system, preferring a powdered graphite-and-grease mixture (the grease holds the graphite in place where it’s needed). He lubricates everything that moves: mounting screws/plate; all string “breaks” and contact points, including the saddle peaks; where the springs attach to the block and claw; the nut slots; and the string trees."
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Not sure which kind of bridge, stock bridge on an American 92' or 93' strat. One of those 2 years.

Comment

but it is not a floating bridge by the way, it is rested against the body. I'm not too bright when it comes to guitar mechanics or anything like this at all.

Comment

oh yea, I thought that locking tuners only kept the guitar in tune better. They help keep strings in tune from tremolo too?

Comment

always make sure that theres plenty of lubricant at the nut if theres not it will get caught up and go out of tune easy but if it can slide smoothly you wont have to be retuning it every song
                    Guitars
                    MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
                    MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
                    Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
                    Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
                    MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
                    70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
                    Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
                    Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

Is there a specific kind of lubricant for things like this? Also,when you put the lubricant on, do you put it on every few days or say, however often you change your strings?

Comment

they have graphite lube stuff in a little tube but when i cant find that stuff i just use mechanical pencil lead. changing your strings depends on what kind of strings you get elixirs will last alot longer and how dirty your strings get i know people who will sit down and have a jam session and their strings will be black afterwards for me my strings last for months.
                        Guitars
                        MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
                        MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
                        Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
                        Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
                        MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
                        70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
                        Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
                        Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

Taking a mechanical pencil and gently "shading" in each nut slot seems to work well.....

Comment

So locking tuners actually help keep the guitar in tune when using the tremolo bar?

Comment

Another question...is there a disadvantage or consequence to putting too much graphite in the nut slots?

Comment

Working...
                              X