• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plexi Master Volume Mod?

Its a land slide haha.

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
      Well I don't really want to be over the top loud with it, I play at smaller venues and in a basement with a band. I'm basically trying to see what my options are since the master volume mod seems to be a common mod that I feel that I would be capable of doing as well as cheaper then an attenuator.
      Proxy...Here's my opinion on the difference between preamp distortion and power amp(tube) distortion...The preamp distortion is great for getting gain at low volume levels,but that type of distortion is buzzier and not natural sounding like the power tube distortion you hear when an amp is cranked up really loud...The cranked up Marshall power tube distortion tone is rich in harmonics,with a nice tube compression,also your notes seam to effortlessly fly from your guitar and out of your amp with singing authority...Listen to old Clapton/Cream,Allman Brothers,AC/DC etc...where you basically hear output tube distortion that is generated by high volume levels..This output distortion also gives rise to overall low end,midrange,and highend levels(Munson Curve) The JCM 800 is great also but you still have to crank er up to get that roar and cutting tone that we all love about a Marshall...

Again...Either a good attenuator or some pedals would get you there....

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Or you can have the type of JCM 800 mod I just got done from Jeff Seal....it will do it all at almost any volume!
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Again...Either a good attenuator or some pedals would get you there....

John
          Thanks, I'm gonna prolly go pedals and preserve the plexi clean since at the moment I can't afford a two amp rig. Also attenuator money can go to a nice cab.

I really want that power amp distortion, but I'm trying to figure out how I can get both plexi cleans and distortion out of one plexi. A pedal is basically solid state premp gain, but those ts9's seem to do it for people, so maybe in the not so distant future I'll send one out your way.

Just trying to weigh my options and you've been very helpful.

Comment

Plus the 1987 actually sounds good a normal volumes with a good pedal, and then you can crank it in studiowork and get that real Marshall sound.
            Just link the two channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
              Or you can have the type of JCM 800 mod I just got done from Jeff Seal....it will do it all at almost any volume!
              I would go that route, but I don't think I have the money that doesn't mind paying shipping as well as the price of the mod itself. When I do, I definitely want to chec out that thing. Your description sounds magical.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Plus the 1987 actually sounds good a normal volumes with a good pedal, and then you can crank it in studiowork and get that real Marshall sound.
                Just link the two channels.
                I thought the two channels are just bright and dark, or is what your saying that one is higher output?

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
                  I thought the two channels are just bright and dark, or is what your saying that one is higher output?
                  They are in fact 2 seperately voiced un-switchable channels...You can also use an A/B box and switch back and forth though...1 channel is bright and cutting and the other input side is dark and bassier sounding...This is the reason alot of folks like daisy channeling with a cable between both input sides.This allows you to mix the two tones together...I Much prefer the older non-master volume Marshalls to the master volume type for my styles..I had a JCM 800 but sold it after switching over to an older metal panel 73 50 watt 1987 head...I'd never part with this amp! Mine has a better(O.E.I) output transformer and some cool mods to make it better for my ears etc...

John
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yeah I know a tech who uses the right number 2 input as his mix channel, he makes a small mod that can make you blend both channels when you use that input, works great, fat tones can be dialed in at normal club levels.

Comment

Go to the Les Paul Forum (I know ), and look up "rich's mod" and ken fisher's mod. Both (I believe) are post phase inverter master volume mods that sound excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X