Garage sale Score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage sale Score!

Hey guys, I just picked up an old Peavey Mace 160 watt 4x12 combo amp for $50 bucks at a garage sale. It needs a filter cap replacement and a resistor replacement. I was just wondering what anyone knew about this amp. Its bee retubed with Ruby tubes(6 6L6GCs) and rebiased by a local music shop. I was wondering what all stuff you know about this amp. I havent been able to plug it in but he said it had a great clean channel and a so-so overdrive channel. A very light overdrive. It had 4 inputs: normal, effects(overdrive + reverb + phaser), series, and parallel.
    Thanks a lot for any information,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Re: Garage sale Score!

Well, anytime you cna pick up a 4x10 Tube amp for 50 bucks, you win.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Lyrnyrd skynyrd used this amp almost exclusively live ......not sure about in the studio though
      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
      >cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

yea I know skynard uses it, and i really do like their tone so i couldnt pass it up. BTW Scott, it is actually a 4x12 combo amp, its heavy as all hell.
        Later,
        Brian
        Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

412 combo, good god.

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
            412 combo, good god.
            yea exactly, I almost busted a nut carrying it downstairs. Im luck as hell i have a girlfriend nice enough to come to my rescue and support at least a little or the huge weight.
            Later,
            Brian

Comment

did I mention that I picked up both my Vox and Marshal at a garage sale for 50 bucks.... just kidding, I'm'a scour garage sales this summer, to try to find those finds, ya know?
              You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

sounds like a good time to learnhow to mod the sucker or rebuild it into a really cool amp. good score!!!!

germ
                Jeremy Ledford
                Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
                  sounds like a good time to learnhow to mod the sucker or rebuild it into a really cool amp. good score!!!!

germ
                  Thats the plan. I have already done some modding on my Peavey classic 50 but i think this will be a good one to just go all out on(provided I dont like the tone enough).
                  Later,
                  Brian

Comment

Cool, what a score!
                    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Those were decent amps, big time Southern Rock amps but you knew that. Get it cleaned up and maybe put some casters on it to make it a bit more portable. Only downside to the big combos is rattleing the tubes apart. If you run that sucker opened up you'll go through a decent amount of tubes, if you can find good mil-spec tubes they're probably worth it if you'll gig with it.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

good score - hope it gets you all the tone you are hoping for

i had a close call on a potential score friday ... our work facility has an online (internal website) trading page .. i saw an ad that said 'i just moved into a new house and the previous owners left an electric guitar and amplifier in the attic. it's beat up so you can have it for free. '

i had visions of a pre-cbs strat and an old blackface .... i even decided that i wouldve given her some money for it ... so i called and asked if the amp and guitar had any writing on it .. she said "yeah, it says 'harmony' " ..

oh well - glad yours is for real
                        cheers
                        t4d
                        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I think i may just keep this amp at home and use my Classic 50 to gig with. After i replace a few things (resistor blew out and needs some new filter caps) ill decide. even if it doesnt work i still will be glad i got it. $50 is unbeatable for anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X