Metal Pickguards and Tone/Shielding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Pickguards and Tone/Shielding

Do copper, anodized, or other metal picguards offer additional shielding for single coils? Do they affect or add to the over all tone and susutain? I have been thnking of trying on on my strat. It has one JB in it, but I split it. It can be kind of noisy at times. Does anyone make brass briges for tremed strats? I am just looking for something different that will alter the tone of my strat, i do someting to it every six months.

Re: Metal Pickguards and Tone/Shielding

Yes..there are some shielding mods that you can do to greatly reduce the 60 cycle hum. I'm not sure about anodized pickguards, but I purchased a metal pickguard shield from www.callahamguitars.com (under the strat parts page, $10 bucks I think) and then did a wiring mod from www.guitarnuts.com (go to modifications, then wiring then quieting the beast).

Eliminating the ground loops from the wiring scheme + the pickguard shield really almost eliminated the hum from my strat...I've been very happy. Instead of buying the pickguard shield if you're on a budget, you can use spray adhesive and aluminum foil to completely cover the back of your pickguard....it's supposed to work just as well.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Do they do custom pickguards? I need a guard with one humbucker, tone, volume, and a place for mini switch. $10 dollars sounds pretty cheap for a metal pickguard.

Comment

$10 is just for the pickguard shield...it goes under whatever pickguard you choose. I don't know if callaham does custom work, but send him an e-mail and ask him....I'd bet he would be able to do something about altering the shield he has. If not, it's pretty thin, I would bet you could dremel out the bridge position to make it work.

If you want custom pickguards....go to www.pickguards.com
        My Sound Clips

Comment

This may be a dumb thought, but wouldn't pickguards and aluminum,copper etc. make hum worse? Wouldn't it act almost like an antenna for bad frequencies?
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

On my blue strat (H-S-S), I have the Fender CS engine turned aluminum guard. They aren't cheap at $50, but I like the look of it. What you do with an aluminum pickguard is to line the back of it with one layer of sticker paper, or stripe it with black electrical tape. This kills all microphonic posibilities, especially with your JB or my C-5.
            Because it's aluminum, I'd imagine that by itself, it blocks out noise, too. Because it's metal, and running alongside the body, I think it adds a little bit of attack on the notes, kinda like a maple fretboard would do, but it doesn't add any brightness, tonewise. Just make sure to use the sticker paper or electrical tape because highgain tones can vibrate the aluminum guard, causing microphonics. That'll make it perfect.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
              This may be a dumb thought, but wouldn't pickguards and aluminum,copper etc. make hum worse? Wouldn't it act almost like an antenna for bad frequencies?
              It's wired to ground, not the output. Anything it attracts won't have a way to get into the amp.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

you can get custom cut pickguards at www.sharpconcepts.com
                they're a lil pricey, tho...
                :firing: :soapbox: :rocket: :omg:
                Its the way things are, kill the ones w/ the ideas.

Comment

Working...
                X