Possible faulty avatar cab...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible faulty avatar cab...

I think my Avatar cab that I just ordered is faulty. It arrived on Thursday and I opened the box it was in for my birthday on Sunday. I proceeded to plug my squier practice amp (15 watts) into the cab and the volume was extremely low. With the amp volume at ten, the amp was loud. But, plugged into the cab, it was extremely quiet, as if the volume was at one. It gets better...

Tonight, I took the cab to my friend's house. I plugged his Randall RH200 head into the cab (both 8 ohms) and the speakers didn't work. They clipped, as if they couldn't handle the wattage (200 watts). With 2 v12s and 2 70/80s, the cab should handle 400 watts. The only time the speakers did not clip was when the volume on the head was the absolute minimum.

Spesifications:
    -2 Eminence v12s on bottom
    -2 Celestion 70/80s on top
    -8ohm mono

I tried every possible cobination of cable connections from the head to the cab.

We then tried his cabinet (a Randall 4x12 w/ Celestion rocket 50s). It worked fine.

Please help me with this problem as I really don't want to have to ship it back. Thank you very much...

Peace easy.
    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
    Peavey Valve King 1x12
    Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Re: Possible faulty avatar cab...

Run a quick search online for speaker wiring diagrams and then look out how to wire it properly. My guess is that the soldering or something was done quickly or something might have come undone during the shipping. Opening up the back wouldn't be such a bad idea to see where you stand (to make sure the speakers themselves aren't faulty).

I kinda know how you feel. I bought some EVM-12L speakers online only to find one of them was on the verge of breaking. Sure enough the first time I used it (when I tried it out with the Triamp for the very first time - to buy it from an online guy... it made noise for about a minute and then there was no noise). Had to use his Mesa 4x12... but the Celestion 30s sounded like crap through it.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Like The Chris said, double check the wiring, just to make sure it's wired correctly and that nothing came loose durring shipping.

Also, keep in mind there's a break in period on speakers. Durring the break in they can sometimes sound really bad. Also, those speakers are designed to distort at high volumes, (which sounds really bad when they're not broken in).
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I dont' know why you told me to see this. I think one of the things you may be doing is using an instrument cable, that's one thing I think you may be doing. Make sure you use a speaker cable.
        Regarding the squier amp, you can't run speakers with the headphone output, you have to use the speaker output (which I'm guessing, like me you'll have to hard wire a new output onto the amp)
        You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Since you tried it with your friends head, I"m guessing it's not the cable.

Most likely the speakers are out of phase. That'll sound like crap. If you look at the wiring, and it looks normal, then the Celestions and the Emminence are out of phase. Swap the pos and neg on either both Celestions or both Emminences.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Oh yeah, call dave at avatar and complain a bit. He's a top notch guy.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

ohhh... scott made my suggestions seem like I've worked at guitar center all my life... j/k
              but, really, he should make sure he's using a speaker cable.
              You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Indie: I've used both a speaker cable and an instrument cable with the same results. Also, the combo has an ext. speaker jack labled "ext. speaker 8 ohm 15 watts". I figured you might know how to help me since you did sort of the same thing with your 15 watt squier amp. I'm sorry if I wasted your precious time.

Scott: Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not good with electrical work and I have no idea what I'm doing with wires. I'd prefer not to spend money to send it to a guitar repairman around here. I'll definately give Dave a call today and see if he knows why the cab is acting funny. I'll definately check into the "out of phase" thing. Much appreciated

Thanks a bunch to everyone who has helped me, now or in the past.

Peace.

Note: I took the metal plate on the back off and looked at everything. It didn't seem like anything was wrong but then, I wouldn't know... too many wires.
                Last edited by green_insomniac; 06-28-2004, 06:37 AM.
                Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

I doubt its soldering connections...Avatar uses quick connects or whatever they are called. I had an issue with one of my Avatar cabs where the cable connects to the cab, that connection just came apart in my hands. Dave sent it out right away free of charge. Good guy to do business with.

J
                  Low wattage rocks!
                  Bumbox Lead 1
                  Orange Tiny Terror
                  Vox 120VTH
                  ----------------------
                  Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
                  Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

Comment

Good news-

I called Dave from Avatar and he suggested that I bring the new cab to the closest guitar repare place and he would reimburce me for the repairs if any were needed. Well... I took it there and he found absolutely nothing wrong with it... 'cause it worked! I proceeded to take it to my friend's house (the one with the Randall) and it worked then, too! I took it home and made my squier very, very loud!

I called Dave back and he said that there might have been some dirt or oxidation behind the input jack that went away when I opened the plate. Dave was really nice, too. Great guy.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

Peace.
                    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                    Peavey Valve King 1x12

Comment

Nice, good to hear it works ok
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                      X