Clapton Auction: Blackie falls just short of $1M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clapton Auction: Blackie falls just short of $1M

Thought it'd be the first million dollar auction. Close, but no cigar.

From USA Today:

NEW YORK (AP) — One of Eric Clapton's prize guitars sold for a record $959,500 at an auction that raised more than $7.4 million for a drug treatment center, auction house officials said.

"Blackie," the black-and-white Fender Stratocaster that served as Clapton's sole stage and studio guitar from 1970 to 1985, was the most expensive ever sold at auction, Christie's said in a statement. In 2002, a guitar belonging to Jerry Garcia sold for $957,500.

The buyer of Clapton's guitar — one of 56 he offered Thursday — was not disclosed.

Proceeds go to the Crossroads Centre in Antigua, an addiction treatment center Clapton established in 1998. Clapton overcame a heroin addiction years ago.

"I am thrilled at the result, which is going to be of enormous help to us in achieving our long-term aims at the Centre," Clapton said in a statement.

Bidding was fierce for several other guitars, too. Clapton's 1964 cherry-red Gibson ES-335, along with its case, sold for $847,500, which Christie's said was a world auction record for a Gibson.

"Lenny," the guitar Stevie Ray Vaughan played from the 1970s until his death in 1990, sold for $623,500, Christie's said. The guitar was donated by Vaughan's estate.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Clapton Auction: Blackie falls just short of $1M

'A fool and his money....'
    I would have like to have seen the money go to music programs in schools (or to buy guitars for kids), rather than rich people with addiction problems.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
      'A fool and his money....'
      I would have like to have seen the money go to music programs in schools (or to buy guitars for kids), rather than rich people with addiction problems.
      Good point. I feel like such a jerk for buyin it now.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

were i rich, i'd start heroin just to go to that place.....
        :firing: :soapbox: :rocket: :omg:
        Its the way things are, kill the ones w/ the ideas.

Comment

Not totally sure, but I believe Crossroads is a free clinic, open to anyone with an addiction problem. Hence the need to do big fundraisers every few years.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Good point. I feel like such a jerk for buyin it now.
            Hahahahaha, Man, thats joke of the year.
            Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

man, talk about owning a piece of history... I still can't believe he'd part with it, although it's probably not as big a deal to him... IMHO, I can't think of a more memorabilia... maybe the Beatles' guitars?

Comment

You guys don't think this might be a big tax shelter for Clapton, do you?
                I haven't been keeping track, but it seems like that clinic has had over 30 million invested in it.....and its overseas? Hmmm.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X