New Speaker for a Blues Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speaker for a Blues Junior

I have a Fender Blues Junior that I've been using a lot lately, and it's become one of my favorite amps. It's tiny and portable and has a good tone. However, I'd like to change from a good tone to a great tone.

How much difference would a new speaker make? What speaker would y'all recommend and why?
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Re: New Speaker for a Blues Junior

I like Celestions, for a Blues Jr, I'd go with a Greenback.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The ceramic Blue Dog from Weber VST for my Blues Jr. was the best bang for the buck upgrad I ever made. Their version of the C12N might be more to your taste, depending on what you want. Ted Weber actually answers the phone often, and the bulletin boards are a good resource for figuring out what will work best.

Chip
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Fresh Start - Did the speaker make a noticable difference in tone, or was it subtle? How did the tone change with Blue Dog? Also, why the suggestion of the C12N copy? Were C12Ns old Fender speakers or something?

Benjy_26 - I think I may have Greenbacks in one of my Marshall cabs. I'll have to double check, so I can use them as a tone reference.

Sorry for the dumb questions guys. I know very little about amps other than plugging in and turning knobs, and this is the first time I've considered an upgrade of any kind.
        "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
        - C.S. Lewis

Comment

this has been covered in several threads over on the FDP (Fender) Forum

I'd say the choices boil down to either "British" voiced speakers, such as the Celestions and their clones, and the "American" voiced speakers, such as the Jensens, Reissues, and clones.

also, more recent B Jrs seem to be voiced a little brighter

I have a Jensen RI C12N that sounds great in mine, but others have said they sound too bright in the newer amps.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Working...
          X