banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to suffer from the reverse of GAS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to suffer from the reverse of GAS?

I dont know what i want. i haven't been able to find the guitar that is "me".. y'know?.. that guitar that you can see yourself playing at all time.. but i dont see that guitar anymore

im actually working the plans to sell all of my guitars once i find that ONE guitar that i truely love. (of course ill have a backup laying around)

i guess this calls for an all day marathon at a music store!

Re: Is it possible to suffer from the reverse of GAS?

Actually, I went through what you went through until a day or two ago.

I had played just about everything and was disappointed... it just didn't do anything for "me". It's kinda frustrating playing lots of stuff that just doesn't measure up to the tones in your head. I definitely know what you're going through.

Hit up every music store you can, try everything atleast once In all honesty, you never know what you don't like unless you try it. Eventually, you'll find something that you mess around with and just feel and then you know it's for you... that's all I can say
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Original poster - What you have isn't the reverse of GAS at all. GAS stands for Gear (or Guitar) Aquisition Syndrome. You still have GAS, it's just not concentrated on a certain instrument.

The exact polar opposite of GAS would be a state of complete satisfaction with your gear wherein you desire no new guitars at all. GAS comes from needing something new. The opposite of GAS would be never needing anything new again.

I actually know guys who love their gear SO much, they never GAS. It's incredible. I still GAS but I've managed to control it to a point where I'm mainly coveting guitars from one or two companies and I'm aware that unnecessary accessories won't help my playing at all.

The more you love the guitar(s) you're playing now, the less GAS you have. Like I said, I still have it from time to time, but it's sporadic and the only instruments I lust after are pretty much just like the ones I play now.
      Last edited by kill your scene; 06-28-2004, 08:20 PM.
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Hmm, maybe it's just time to sell them all and find another one...

Just out of curiousity - what do you have? I have all ****ters - 3-600 dollar guitars I'd consider keepers, but obviously not top of the line instruments... maybe you need to move up... sometimes I want to...

Comment

Unless you need the cash, I would reccommend against selling all your stuff. I've heard too many stories of guys giving up stuff (vintage Mustangs, Jaguars, Les Pauls, SG's, Fender Twins, Marshall Plexis....) that, albeit now having some monetary value, it's the sentimental and emotional attachment they had invested in those pieces of gear that they can more or less never play again.

I don't know what you're playing now, and that it will necessarily retain its value, but if you can help it, I would try and keep what I can solely for having it so I won't miss it...

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
            not around here!
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
              Almost where I'm at!! I'm in love with my tone, got the right amplifier, got a great guitar with great pups (thank you Duncan!), and have all the inbetweens lined with Monsters. I'm a happy man! Now once the Flying V is obtained, I'll have truly no need to upgrade....but the desire??? Maybe another cab! From there, it's all going to be pointless GAS attacks that shouldn't even exist!! Silly me.

Comment

Working...
              X