New Neck Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Neck Maybe?

the first 11 frets on my peavey tracer have dents on them, and they make my strings go dead on bends. i was thinking of having new frets installed.

i have also considered having a different neck installed because i would rather have a maple fretboard. how do i determine which necks will fit? is it possible that a fender strat neck would bolt right up? or would i have to get one from Warmoth or Allparts?

Firstly, if you really like the neck, you can have the frets redressed or get the fingerboard refretted in those areas.

If you wanna replace the neck, you need to measure the distance going down the middle of the fingerboard from the end of the nut to the 12th fret. Then you double it to get the scale length of the guitar neck. The Tracer is probably a 25" scale length, which will measure 12.5" from the nut to the 12th fret. Measure the distance between the 12th fret and the bridge to confirm this.

The next thing you need to measure is the width of the neck pocket with the neck taken off the guitar. Most guitars measure 2.5" across, but you want to be certain.

There are many high quality replacement necks out there, just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how long you wanna wait. I would go with a Warmoth for a great cost:contruction ratio. A fully finished neck from them will run about $300. A hand-built neck by Wayne Charvel (www.wayneguitars.com) will run you about $600 and could be up to a 6 month wait. There are necks at all pice points in between, as well.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

BTW, your problem may be caused by the nut not being the correct height or there is not enough relief (bow) in the neck. You will want to make sure everything is perfect so that the problem does not come back.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
      X