banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When changing pups is it safe to take all the strings off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When changing pups is it safe to take all the strings off?

Hey guys.

Tonights the night I put the Seths I bought from Peter in my Gibby LP

I was just wondering if it's safe to take all the strings off when I change pups or if I should just slacken them off while I change the pups and then re-string?

Thanx for any opinions

Craig

Re: When changing pups is it safe to take all the strings off?

I personally take the strings off first. Haven't heard of anyone keeping the strings on while changing the pups. If you keep the strings on, and they vibrate just a little while you're changing pups, it creates an electromagnetic field that heats up the strings to a point where it will snap and rip through your flesh. It'll definitely hurt. That's how Legless Joe lost his arms. So take your strings off.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. You are just asking for more trouble than it is worth trying to salvage the strings. Just wait until they wear out. If you are new to changing pups out, you will need to make it as easy an experience as possible. It is simple, but you will not need the added aggrivation.

Good Luck!!!!

Comment

I think what Craig's getting at here is that with an LP if you take all the strings off there's nothing to hold the bridge and tailpiece in place.

Usually if I'm changing strings I leave the D string on to hold the bridge and tailpiece while I clean up the guitar, then remove it after I've fitted the new low E.

When I'm changing pickups (happens from time to time ) I leave the low E on. This allows me to get the pickups and their rings out of the guitar without the bridge coming off, though you do have to detune a bit to get the bridge pickup out, and be careful the pickup mounting screws don't scratch the top of the guitar. Be careful also that you don't knock the thumbwheels that set the height of the bridge. Then I put new strings on once the pickups are in place.

Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I'll leave the old strings on when I change pickups (just slacken them off and pull them to the sides), but usually I try to resist changing pickups until I'm due some new strings.

You can of course get those fancy Tone Pros locking bridge and tailpiece sets, but I haven't invested in those (yet).
        Last edited by Simon_F; 06-29-2004, 03:21 AM.

Comment

There was some mention of removing all your strings at once 'may' affect your neck being all the string tension is removed. I've had to tweak the truss rod a few times being I've repainted most of my guitars and it could be true. I do change strings one at a time.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
          Celestion speakers
          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
          Too many pedals....

Comment

I've taken all the strings off of my Kramer and my acoustic and neither of them needed any adjustment afterwards. When I put a JB in my V I was lazy and just slackened all the strings and pulled them aside. It worked alright but you might as well take them all off(there wouldn't be any tension difference). It'll be ok I promise
            MIM Fender Strat-stock
            Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
            Dean V X- 85/81
            Crybaby From Hell
            Ibanez DE7
            ADA MP-1
            Furman EQ
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Well I've never found it necessary, but I don't think it would be harmful either. I just slacken the strings. I'm always swapping magnets in and out of my pups to, I still never really found it necessary to take the strings off altogether. Just seems to me like it'd e too much of a hassle.
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Simon and Butnut mentioned the 2 things I was thinking about when I made this post:

1. Leaving atleast 1 string on would stop the bridge falling off, and also keep some tension on the neck.

2. Loss of tension on the neck by removing the strings.

This isn't the 1st guitar I've changed pups on, but I'm not sure how I did it when I changed pups on my Epi LP .I can't remember if I took all the strings off or if I kept a few on! *doh*

I think I'll prob just take em all off. I can't see it doing that much damage for the short amount of time my LP will have no strings on

Thanx for the replies guys.

Comment

just buy new strings and then put the pickups in along with the strings
                  Down at the edge, close by a river.
                  Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                  Close to the end, down by the corner.
                  Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

I always planned to change the strings!

I just wondered if it'd save the neck some if I slackened the strings off instead of removing them.

Its done now, so thanx for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Number One
                      I personally take the strings off first. Haven't heard of anyone keeping the strings on while changing the pups. If you keep the strings on, and they vibrate just a little while you're changing pups, it creates an electromagnetic field that heats up the strings to a point where it will snap and rip through your flesh. It'll definitely hurt. That's how Legless Joe lost his arms. So take your strings off.
                      Ha HA Brilliant...

Legless Joe!!!
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Remove all the strings. Remove the bridge, and remove the tail piece. Cover the body so when you work you won't drop a tool or a blob of solder on the guitar!!!!! don't worry about the neck. A truss rod adjustment is a normal adjustment that should be made 3 or 4 times a year as the climate changes anyway. Check the relief before you start any work, chances are it won't need any adjustment. Removing all the strings just gives you more room to work without running the risk of damage to your guitar. After you have installed the pups restring it and bring the guitar to pitch. Once that is done press the 6 string down at the 1st fret, and press the string down where the string crosses over the body. At the 7th fret there should be a little bit of clearance between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret. The amount of clearance or relief is a matter of personal preference. So if the guitar is playing the way you like it to play check the relief before you start so you can keep it there. To adjust the rod if you tighten the rod it will decrease the space between the string and fret(removing relief). An easy way to remember which way to turn the rod is "left lowers the center of the neck" When making this adjustment make small turns of the rod.(1/8thturns). Checking the relief frequently. After you have the relief set the way you like it, check it again after a couple of days. Guitar necks have a tendancy to move a little after the rod has been adjusted. Good Luck!!
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

You should be ok as long as you don't leave the strings off the guitar for too long, ie hour or so not days never had any problems with my Les Paul just be carefull not to Knock any of the setting's on the bridge and gently lift off the bridge and stoptail to avoid any damage when you remove the last string.
                          This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
                          Les Paul With JB bridge & Jazz neck - Jimmy Page Wiring
                          Fenton Weill strat copy With 59 bridge & 59 Neck p/up My first Guitar
                          Vox Valvetronix AD 100 VT

Comment

what???

i always take all my strings off to polish the neck and frets, i dont see another way...

how bad does it damage the axe?
                            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I change pickups frequently. I never remove perfectly good strings. Loosening them up is fine. I've never had to tweak a truss rod after loosening strings for 20 mins during a pup change, or whatever else I might be doing under the hood. If you're careful, the strings don't pose any problem whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X