banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone uses a noise suppresor/reduction pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone uses a noise suppresor/reduction pedal?

How it works? is it worth?, donīt afect my tone?
    Thanks.

Re: anyone uses a noise suppresor/reduction pedal?

I use the Boss NS-2 pedal. It really cleans up your sound a lot. When I play at volumes from 0-6 (on my AVT50 Head and 412 cab), my telecaster is silent and so is my Duncan Distortion-loaded Ibanez. However at stage volumes (10+), it will still feedback if you don't keep your hand over the strings. What I'm saying is that even though it feeds back, it is controllable, and that's the main thing.

Only downside I've seen is that when I use my Boss RV-3 reverb at the same time, the NS-2 cuts some of the reverb out. Not a big problem, since when I use the reverb I'm playing clean 90% of the time. Other than that, the NS-2 seems to be pretty transparent to me.

Out of all the pedals I've ever bought, it is the best investment I've made (the NS-2 and the powered Pedalboard being the two most important investments I've made.) It may seem like a lot of money for a pedal that doesn't make a noticable difference in sound (such as modulation pedals) but I never think about playing loud without mine... literally.
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
      I use the Boss NS-2 pedal. It really cleans up your sound a lot. When I play at volumes from 0-6 (on my AVT50 Head and 412 cab), my telecaster is silent and so is my Duncan Distortion-loaded Ibanez. However at stage volumes (10+), it will still feedback if you don't keep your hand over the strings. What I'm saying is that even though it feeds back, it is controllable, and that's the main thing.

Only downside I've seen is that when I use my Boss RV-3 reverb at the same time, the NS-2 cuts some of the reverb out. Not a big problem, since when I use the reverb I'm playing clean 90% of the time. Other than that, the NS-2 seems to be pretty transparent to me.

Out of all the pedals I've ever bought, it is the best investment I've made (the NS-2 and the powered Pedalboard being the two most important investments I've made.) It may seem like a lot of money for a pedal that doesn't make a noticable difference in sound (such as modulation pedals) but I never think about playing loud without mine... literally.
      Does it still cut out the reverb if you put the reverb after the noise suppressor?
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
        Does it still cut out the reverb if you put the reverb after the noise suppressor?
        Well, I don't know if your familiar with the NS-2 or not, but it has a loop in it. I run my guitar into the input of the NS-2, then through the "send" i run it into all my effects. then it comes back into the "Return" jack and finally out to my marshall AVT 50. I havent tried it the other way, but like I said it doesn't make a difference to me for my music styles. If I were playing something more dependant upon cleans like blues or something, it might be a problem.
        7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I have an NS-2 as well, it's probably about as good of a noise gate as you can get in stompbox form.

That said, using a noise gate properly means...

1. putting in before reverbs and delays (if you want them to trail off naturally without getting cut off)

2. Putting it before a volume control (pedal). You cut the signal off at low volumes if you put the gate after it.

Put the gate directly after the source of the noise. In my case, I have a noisy guitar, so my gate comes first in may chain. The gain devices don't pick up the noise from the guitar (it's gated out) so my rig overall is quieter. Obviously, if you have a noisy amp, but your guitar is well shielded and properly wired, you might want to put the gate in the FX loop of the amp.
          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
          Originally posted by Sosomething
          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I throw it in my FX Loop and forget about it. I still have my entire pedalboard hooked into the front of the amp without any pedals in the actual send return loop. Somehow, this thing works great in the FX Loop. It cuts out tons of hiss and hum without any coloration at all and I can still play dynamically without it cutting off any notes.

I find you do have to tweak the decay time to get it just right, but when you do.. it's really sweet
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
            X