Marshall 2205.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 2205.

I am currently playing through a 50W 900 combo, and for a number of reasons am looking to move into a head. I like the concept of channel switching but do not like effect loops. From what I have heard the 2205 is channel switching, has reverb, and does not have an effects loop. All the things I would want in a head But I am not 100% sure about this. I have read through some of the threads regarding 800's and not all of my questions have been answered. . What can you tell me I should look for in this type of Marshall? Is this a good model based on what I mentioned I would like?
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Re: Marshall 2205.

I have a 1985 2205. Here's the skinny:

50W, from 2x EL34s
    It does have reverb, but the 'verb is terrible, so I don't use it
    It has two speaker outputs, so it'll power a full stack (niiice)
    It has a DI out, with adjustable level control
    It has a switch so you can change the voltage when you tour Europe
    It only has one input
    It has a footswitch jack
    It has a 'boost' channel with its own gain setting

I don't recall seeing an effects loop, but I will be in the studio tomorrow night, and I will check for you!!
    The other negative is the EQ is very minimal
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The 2205 and the 2210 DO have an effects loop.
      Go to www.marshallamps.com to check out the entire Marshall line. ....
      ps. The 2204 ( which is what I use ) does not have an effects loop. It's 50 watts, came stock with 6550's ( but a lot of players switch over to the EL's ), does not have reverb, and is only single channel. ( probably not what you're looking for )
      Last edited by 59paul; 06-29-2004, 03:29 PM.
      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

GEt the 2205. If you really don't want the effects loop, get a mod done to take it out of the circuit. Easy.

The 2205/2210's are really underrated IMO...
        'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

I don't get it, what's so bad about FX Loops?

The one on my amp is killer... on the Marshalls, does it detract from the tone?
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            I don't get it, what's so bad about FX Loops?

The one on my amp is killer... on the Marshalls, does it detract from the tone?
            The 900 I have now creates a nasty "clipping" issue with Delay, which for the most part is the only effect I use in the Marshall. I use a DOD TR3 which was the only floor type of device that I was able to find that did not destroy the tone of the Amp. So it is possible that the problem I am trying to rectify could be related to the box and not the loop. I did speak with Marshall and they really did not have an answer for me. It seems that the delay cuts the notes before the note has completed its decay! Very Annoying! I have actually stopped using the delay because of it.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The 2205's are very nice amps. Stock they can produce some great tones at louder volumes. I have the 2205 circut in a 2x12 combo (4212) and I just had it modded. There are a ton of great mods available for not a lot of money that will really make the 2205 one of the best amps you have ever played. I was happy with mine except for the clean channel...which was dry and stale. I could have lived with it as it, but decided to have it modded. The overdrive is very decent in the stock form as well. Also, the effects loop is not so bad on the 2205's...it's a bit noisey is my only complaint, but I rarely use it.

If you end up with one...contact Jeff Seal at http://www.speakersurgeon.com/ . He has some amazing mods that will give you Fender like cleans and the most articulate singing overdrive.
              Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-30-2004, 09:33 AM.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
              X