What is it with these Fender people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with these Fender people?

Hey guys, I'm working on putting together a Strat style guitar using a mix of Fender, Warmoth, and various aftermarket parts. I've noticed a pattern as far as pricing goes...Fender parts always sell for more. In putting together this project, I've found the following differences in prices on Ebay:

neck plate: $4
    exact same neck plate, but with Fender logo: $17

used Fender Schaller strap locks pulled from American Strat: $15
    exact same part, brand new, in an aftermarket Schaller package: $9

new Warmoth neck, typical Strat neck features: $150
    used '95 American Strat neck, same features, reasonable playwear: $260

used Fender Schaller locking tuners: $50
    new aftermarket Schaller locking tuners: $40

now obviously, prices are going to vary a bit, especially on Ebay. But why is it any part with the Fender name on it will generally go for a higher price than a Warmoth or high quality aftermarket part? If anything, I would think a Warmoth neck would be of higher quality than a typical Fender neck. I guess my question is, are people really that loyal to recognizeable brand names that they will pay much higher prices, when they could get something of equal or higher quality for much less?

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: What is it with these Fender people?

resale value, if someone is doing restoration, they'll pay anything
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

It's time to part out the strats and sell them on e-bay as quite often you'll get more for them the you would for the whole guitar!!

Unfortunately there appears to be the situation that you pay more for the name then you would in a lot of instances for far better products i.e Warmoth's. This also applies to whole guitars ie. Gibsons V Hamers
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Fender people just like all original parts I guess.

I sold my MIM Strat for $450... still don't know how I got away with that
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Bigger name brands always get more. Fender is a big name, like Levis.
          You can get fender parts at musicians friend too.

Comment

Norman, I've noticed that trend too. So many guys are ripping apart their Fender strats and selling each part individually. It's a headache, but the increased profit has made me wonder if I should start doing it.

The average used Am Std sells for $450-$650. Parted out, they go for as much as $900. You could literally make a living buying the cheapest American strats you can find, ripping them apart, and getting top dollar for each and every piece. There's a few guys on Ebay now, doing just that.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              Norman, I've noticed that trend too. So many guys are ripping apart their Fender strats and selling each part individually. It's a headache, but the increased profit has made me wonder if I should start doing it.

The average used Am Std sells for $450-$650. Parted out, they go for as much as $900. You could literally make a living buying the cheapest American strats you can find, ripping them apart, and getting top dollar for each and every piece. There's a few guys on Ebay now, doing just that.
              Yeah, I just bought a pickguard, knobs, neck plate, and body from a guy who parted out a '97 American Roadhouse Strat. It's pretty ridiculous how much some are willing to pay for a Fender logo.

Ryan

Comment

I am selling geniue Fenderscrews....3$ each...hey they are original

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                  I am selling geniue Fenderscrews....3$ each...hey they are original
                  I jsut saw that on ebay "Original Pickgaurd Screws, 73 Jazz/Jaguar/Precision/Strat/Tele," 16 of them for $36 dollars... I shat myself.
                  You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

crazy..

Comment

I've put together a parts guitar before, buying good components. It ended up costing as much as a "storebought" guitar, and still didn't play as good.
                      I learned my lesson. I think the best way to do it is to buy an American Strat, then start changing a few parts, even the neck or body. If you start from scratch, you'll pay a lot more.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It almost seems like a crime to part out a bunch of Strats like that. I also ran across an eBay seller who parts 'em out, and all I could think about was how nice all those parts must've looked together on it's respective guitar.
                        It's kinda sad, but as previously mentioned there's money to be made doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          I've put together a parts guitar before, buying good components. It ended up costing as much as a "storebought" guitar, and still didn't play as good.
                          I learned my lesson. I think the best way to do it is to buy an American Strat, then start changing a few parts, even the neck or body. If you start from scratch, you'll pay a lot more.
                          Well, it's a little too late for that, I've already got the body and some of the other parts. I figure it'll cost roughly the same as a Highway 1 Strat. I agree, you can pick up a used American Strat or a new Highway 1 Strat for what it'll probably end up costing, but I'd end up swapping out the neck and all the electronics anyway. So by putting it together from scratch, I can get all the features I want from the start. I'm pretty much going the Ebay route for all of the parts. Warmoth necks pop up on there all the time, usually with little or no use, and they sell for almost half of what they cost new from Warmoth. I'm not in any hurry to complete this project, so I'll just wait until I find the exact neck I want on Ebay. I'm not going to be overly picky, I just need something with a 1 11/16 nut width, slightly thicker back shape, and slightly taller frets. The only part that I see costing a lot is the Fishman Powerbridge, unless I can find one of those on Ebay too.

Ryan

Comment

Ya know, it gets to a point where it's not really about cost. Once you make an instrument, it's totally yours. There's something nice to be said about that. If it's not as playable as a high end instrument, look at it, analyze it, find out why it isn't. I've made a few guitars in my life, and while I didn't think they were all that great, the people that I sold them to did.
                            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

There is always going to be a market for doing this - all of us are guilty of tweaking, putting better parts and where we think we can get a bargain then we would. I don't have a problem with guys who want to part out guitars if that is what they want to do it to sell it but it does seem a shame. Strats are the biggest part out guitar there is and Leo made it that way.

Ryan - good look on the project I am sure that with all the requisite parts you will be making a killer guitar
                              Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X