Reverb troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb troubleshooting

The reverb does not work anymore on my Fender Stage 160 solid state amp. When I turn it up, it just creates a buzzing sound. Is this do-it-yourself fixable?? I have the schematic of the amp from the original instruction manual...if that helps. Thanks.

Re: Reverb troubleshooting

Originally posted by CasualFitzy
    The reverb does not work anymore on my Fender Stage 160 solid state amp. When I turn it up, it just creates a buzzing sound. Is this do-it-yourself fixable?? I have the schematic of the amp from the original instruction manual...if that helps. Thanks.
    Check the cables to and from the tank, other than that chances are then the opamp driving or combining the signal has failed or something is making contact where it shouldn't. Buzzing sounds like a problem with the cables, but it could be in the circuit. Check the cables detach them one at a time (so the tank doesn't get hooked up backwards, check 'em with a meter, if they check out hook 'em back ... if it still does it, you can have a look inside to check for loose wires (if there are any), other than that the transducers in the tank itself could have gone ... I suspect an opamp problem before those though.
    If the cable stuff doesn't pan out (no pup intended ... reverb pan), then the bad news is you're going to more than likely take it to a shop. Now if the schematic gives you reference voltages then you can probe those while feeding the amp the specified referrence signal, if they aren't within spec, then that just tells you that something is broken and it needs to be traced to what ever the faulty component(s) is(are). That's really something for someone experienced to do however as you are going to be poking around inside of a live amp. Check the pan cables first, maybe you'll get lucky.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Actually, can you just explain all the technical terms like Opamp. Like where I should find those things. Thanks.
      Last edited by CasualFitzy; 07-01-2004, 03:43 PM.

Comment

A Opamp is a transistor device that powers the reverb unit. Much the way
        a tube amp has a driver tube for the reverb. Honestly... I think it time to
        take it to a tech.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Yep, I'm going in on Monday. I hope this is under the warranty :-D.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualFitzy
            Actually, can you just explain all the technical terms like Opamp. Like where I should find those things. Thanks.
            I was getting ready to say, no offense but if you have to ask what an op amp is, and how to find it, you really aren't the person to be attempting the repair ... like KMC said, take it to a tech.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
            X