X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JumpMarine
    replied
    Re: Looking into getting an eq, ideas?

Sounds good to me, GE7 it is. Now I'm off to find a good deal. Don't think that I'll find another one like the brand new, $37 SD-1 that I found a couple of weeks ago. But you never, never know.

Leave a comment:

• nuntius
    replied

theyr not that expensive either if you find them second hand. im sure i've seen them go for 35 - 50 pounds

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrec
    replied

I agree. The Boss GE7 is the way to go. Modded or stock.

Leave a comment:

• JumpMarine
    replied

Thanks Screamingdaisy, that was a great set up review.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Results.

Everything was done through a Rectifier Preamp and 2:100 power amp. Gain at 13:00, everything else at 12:00 except the channel masters. The clean channel was run at about 09:15 (otherwise it distorts the power amp) and the dirt channel was run at 13:00 with the output dimed (push those power tubes haaard baby ).

Boost will refer to the EQ sliders, level will refer to the level slider. Gain hiss will refer to that white noise type hiss you get as you turn the gain up on any amp, static hiss will refer to that hiss you normally get when plugging in a noisey effect (or have your radio/TV receiving static).

When zero'd, the modded GE-7 didn't make any significant changes (tonal or hiss) in either channel.

When run at +5 boost (all boost sliders), it was next to silent on the clean channel, on the dirt channel there was some gain type hiss, but no static hiss.

When run at +10 boost (all boost sliders), it was still next to silent through the clean channel, on the dirt channel the gain hiss was significantly more noticable.

When run at +15 boost (all boost sliders), it was still next to silent through the clean channel, but on the dirt channel there was static hiss. I backed all the sliders down to +10 and raised one at a time to +15. The 800Hz, 1.6kHz, & 3.2kHz sliders were the ones adding static. I backed everything down to +0 and boosted each slider one at a time to +15 with the same results (800Hz, 1.6kHz, & 3.2kHz sliders adding static).

I'd like to add that in the +15 test above, the static added wasn't huge, but noticable when used on the dirt channel. Also, in all three tests the gain hiss would dissapear when a note was played and would slowly fade back in as the note decayed. The static hiss in the +15 test wouldn't dissapear, but remained as a note was stuck, but once I turned the guitars volume past 2, you couldn't hear it over the notes volume.

For comparison (on the dirt channel), at +5 the modded GE-7 added the same ammount of GAIN hiss as my stock TS-9 set to (gain 0, tone 10, level 8), at +10 it was (gain 0, tone 10, level 10), and at +15 it was (gain 6, tone 10, level 10).

With the boost sliders set at zero and the level set at various positions (+5, +10, +15) it was quieter than if you boosted using the boost sliders.

And just for sh*ts and giggles, with everything at +15, it was noisy loud on the dirt channel, buy you could only just start to hear hiss on the clean channel.

Conclusion - If you want to use this pedal to boost, for best results use the EQ to set and fine-tune to your desired sound (flat, mid scoop, mid boost, ect) using the Boost/Cut sliders, and increase your overall boost level using the level slider.

Now, I really need to copy this to notepad and save it so I don't have to do this again.........

Last edited by some_dude; 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by Guitarist
    Yeah. Well, suppose you were to increase all freq by say 3-5db just to get the notes more of an edge to them. Is that silent? Because even stock, it's a pretty minute amount of noise - but still enough to have me cringing. Thanks, sorry if this is a little deep of questioning, but I don't want to talk to the modder himself about this, especially because I don't know him, he could have a tendency to give me the typical review of a modder's own mod.

I have my rig torn apart right now and in parts all over the floor (it's rackmounted.....well,.....normally it'd be rackmounted if it wasn't all over the floor ), so I'll test it in the morning and post the results.

Leave a comment:

• Guitarist
    replied

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
    Already done that in the past.

As soon as I got it I did what any self respecting male would do and cranked all the sliders.

Was there hiss? Yes. Was there anywhere near as much hiss as a stock GE-7? Hell no. I think the hiss that it did experiance is the gain hiss you can expect when you boost all the frequencies by +30db (15db on the slider, plus the 15db boost on the output level), and wasn't so much the fault of the stompbox itself.

I've also ran it in the loop in the past, where it worked fine on everthing but the most extreme settings (about +10db or more on every slider), where it would overload the output.
    Yeah. Well, suppose you were to increase all freq by say 3-5db just to get the notes more of an edge to them. Is that silent? Because even stock, it's a pretty minute amount of noise - but still enough to have me cringing. Thanks, sorry if this is a little deep of questioning, but I don't want to talk to the modder himself about this, especially because I don't know him, he could have a tendency to give me the typical review of a modder's own mod.

Leave a comment:

• muttonchopsrule
    replied

i have a GE7, and yes it is a very noisy pedal, when put in front of the amp. when i bought mine, i was so upset with it that i was ready to take it back to guitar center, but for some reason i tried putting it through my effects loop and it's just as quiet as any other pedal. now it does wonders.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by Guitarist
    If you don't boost, can you at least boost all freq as a test for me. I'm also looking to lower the HUGE amount of hiss on these pedals. Thanks.
    Already done that in the past.

As soon as I got it I did what any self respecting male would do and cranked all the sliders.

Was there hiss? Yes. Was there anywhere near as much hiss as a stock GE-7? Hell no. I think the hiss that it did experiance is the gain hiss you can expect when you boost all the frequencies by +30db (15db on the slider, plus the 15db boost on the output level), and wasn't so much the fault of the stompbox itself.

I've also ran it in the loop in the past, where it worked fine on everthing but the most extreme settings (about +10db or more on every slider), where it would overload the output.

It works great as a clean boost, I just prefer using it to add some more cut and clarity to my single coils. Someday I'd like to buy another for boosting.

Kevin's a pretty cool guy to work with. Just drop him an email and he'll fill in you in on any details you want to know.

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
    noisegate
    Tone suck.

I understand the need for noise gates and will use them when neccissary, but if it's at all possible to eliminate the cause for noise in the first place, I'll always choose that option first.

Noise gates are a band-aid solution. They don't fix anything, they just cover it up.

Leave a comment:

• drew_half_empty
    replied

noisegate

Leave a comment:

• Guitarist
    replied

I don't use it to boost either (not in a lead sense), but I do boost the mids and drop the bass slightly to sculpt my sound a little more. It's that 10db boost I give to the mids that adds hiss on a normal GE-7, but not so on the Sniper mod one.
    If you don't boost, can you at least boost all freq as a test for me. I'm also looking to lower the HUGE amount of hiss on these pedals. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
    ge-7 should be fine, unless he plays metal, then i'd go for the kerry king 10 band
    I thought all the Kerry King 10-band was was a normal 10-band with a tattoo graphic and a second output for running two amps.....

....in which case, it would be cheaper just to buy the normal 10-band.

Leave a comment:

• some_dude
    replied

Originally posted by JumpMarine
    Thanks, that sounds very interesting. I don't really plan on using this to boost the signal, rather just sculpt the sound to more of my liking. My JCM 600 is basically useless when it comes to tweaking the bass/mid/treble so it need some outside help. Is the hiss issue so bad when you don't boost the signal?
    I don't use it to boost either (not in a lead sense), but I do boost the mids and drop the bass slightly to sculpt my sound a little more. It's that 10db boost I give to the mids that adds hiss on a normal GE-7, but not so on the Sniper mod one.

Leave a comment:

• drew_half_empty
    replied

ge-7 should be fine, unless he plays metal, then i'd go for the kerry king 10 band

Leave a comment:

• JumpMarine
    replied

Get a modded Boss GE-7.

Basically, he lowers the noise floor to remove the hiss when boosting GE-7's are famous for and tweeks the Q on some of the sliders. I run one and it's great, simply because you don't have to comprimise on settings to keep the hiss down.
    Thanks, that sounds very interesting. I don't really plan on using this to boost the signal, rather just sculpt the sound to more of my liking. My JCM 600 is basically useless when it comes to tweaking the bass/mid/treble so it need some outside help. Is the hiss issue so bad when you don't boost the signal?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X